by Umer Butt
ABOUT THE DISH
Fish and Chips is considered the most common dishes in all of the UK as it is merely eaten everywhere in the whole country. It is basically a fish fried in batter and served with hot chips along with its side with an tartare sauce. Along with the chips there is also mushy peas which is served with it which adds another dimension of flavor to an already yummy dish. Everyone knows about the British weather that it is very unpredictable and it is mostly damp on a weekly basis so as a mood refresher people tend to go out and eat this dish and enjoy themselves. This dish is now considered as a British culture and most of the tourists remember their UK visits because of this extraordinary meal.
The origin of fish and chips was in Lancashire in 1863 by a man named Mr. Lee who used to serve fish and chips from a wooden hut. Later as this dish got famous and well liked this became a business for him as he opened a shop across the road and he even labeled ” This is the first fish and chips shop in the whole world” . By the year 1910 there were more than 30000 shops in the whole country which used to sell this dish and if we count today there are millions worldwide.
The amazing pairing of fish and chips is considered the national dish of United Kingdom as its history goes all the way to the years 1860 and up till now it is one of the most loved dishes.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THIS DISH
- COD 6 ounce fillets (Haddock can also be used)
- FLOUR 2 CUPS, 2 EGGS, BEER (FOR MAKING BATTER)
- FLOUR seasoned with salt and pepper (FOR COATING THE FISH)
- Potatoes (Depending on how much chips you want)
- Parsley (For CHIPS)
- Paprika (For CHIPS)
- Frozen peas 4 cups
- Minced shallots ( For Peas)
- Minced Garlic ( For Peas)
- FOR MAKING TARTAR SAUCE
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise.
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice.
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder.
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped.
STEPS TO MAKE THIS DISH
- Take the above mentioned cod and lightly season it with salt
- Make the coating of the fish by taking flour in a bowl and adding salt and pepper in it.
- place the cod inside the coating and dust it all with it
- Make the batter by taking 2 cups of flour and adding 2 eggs and beer in it and mix it together
- Take the coated fish and put it in the batter
- Set the temperature of the deep fryer on about 330 degrees and place the cod in it for frying
- after frying place the fried fish on a plate and lightly sprinkle salt on it for more crispiness
- Now fish is ready and we move on the chips
- Depending on how much chips you need cut the potatoes according to your need
- Set the deep fryer at 320 degrees first for initial frying and after some time set it on 360 degrees for the final 5 minutes
- After finishing put the chips in a bowl and add some parsley, paprika and pepper on the chips and mix it up
- These fries will now be exquisite to see
- Now take frozen peas and put in a frying pan over heat
- Add minced shallots and garlic in the peas and crush them and peas will be ready
- Now lastly we will make tartar sauce
- Take 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice ,1/8 teaspoon black pepper , 1/4 teaspoon onion powder ,1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped add them all together and blend i and this beautiful sauce will be ready
- Now everything is ready and its time to plate.
HEALTHY OR NOT?
Unlike many other dishes fish and chips has very less calories and has many health advantages for both men and women. it provides:
My Personal Opinion
I have eaten many fish and chips dishes all over the UK and everywhere i went my love for it grew to new heights. It is such a simple dish with many great flavors which all work together amazingly well. It is an go to dish for everyone around the UK and i personally recommend it to everyone to eat it if you ever visit London or different parts of the UK. I suggest people to make it at home because people can add their own touch to this amazing dish and the results will be finger licking.