There are many famous recipes in British cuisine but, the Steak and Kidney pie is our most popular recipe so far. This recipe is about 30 to 32 years old and I thought I would like to share it with you. It is the pie that is filled with a combination of lamb meat and lamb kidney and these diced kidneys and lamb meat makes the combination and closed into a dough-based pie. The word pie means closed surface of the dough so, as simple as that when you eat it the first time I am sure it is your favorite pie as compared to other types of pie. This is European cuisine and has the popular traditional cuisine from British cuisines. The inner filled pastry of this pie is made with diced kidneys and diced lamb meat, fried chopped onion, Worcestershire sauce, etc. The other part of the recipe is to make the dough which is made with a combination of cornflour and butter these ingredients having a great combination of steak and kidney pie. This dish represents British cuisine by its name. There are many various names to called this dish like Kate and Sidney pie, snake pygmy pie, etc. these are the alternative names of Steak and Kidney pie. The aroma and fragrance of this dish are mouthwatering and delightful, So today I will show how to cook and bake this delightful recipe in a very easy way by following these easy steps of a recipe you can make at your own home.
Origin and History
Every dish should include origin and history in their cuisine’s introductory part with their respective cuisine’s tradition this is the most important portion of any cuisine. So, when we talk about the origin of this dish (Steak and Kidney Pie) is originated from the northern part of Europe. So it means it is originated from cold areas. So, on the other hand, this dish (Steak and Kidney Pie) having a rich history. When we see backtrack the steak and kidney pie is from Neolithic Period around about 9500 BC. There are many pie-like dishes invented and they have been since the ancient Egyptians, but the main idea of filling gravy inside the dough and make it in the closed shape pie comes from ancient Rome. It was not much famous in America but with the passage of time, it is the main type of pie in America.
Verities and Types of Pies
There are many verities of pies in the history of British cuisines. Basically, Pie is a closed shape pastry, and its customizing filling inside the pie whether is sweet or the weather is spicy and salty. So the steak and kidney pie is salty but there are many types of pie that are used for the sweet dessert. So, here we discussed some various types of Pies below.
- Pork Pie
- Sea Bass Puffy Pie
- Brimley Apple Pie
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- Gala Pie
- Shepherd Pie
- Steak and Kidney Pie
- Self raising flour 2 ½ cup
- Butter 150g
- Olive oil 1 tablespoon
- Chuck steak, cubed 700g
- Kidney, cubed 250g
- Onion, chopped finely 1
- Corn flour 1 cup
- Water half cup
- Worcestershire sauce 1 tablespoon
- Beef stock 3/4 cup
- Egg, beaten lightly 1
- For Preparation Cut the meat into cubes shape (a little bit larger than bite-size).
- Then cut the kidney of lamb into a cubed shape and put it into a bowl of water and leave it for 5 to 10 minutes approximately.
- Then chopped the parsley finely and peel the onion then chopped it roughly.
- For cooking take a frying pan to add some oil for frying chopped onion.
- Add chopped onion into the pan and fry it at low flame.
- Then add the rinsed kidneys into the pan and continue cooking at low flame.
- Now add the cubed like cut piece of meat into the pan and mix it well.
- After mixing it well add Worcestershire sauce through the bottle spray onto the meat.
- Then add a pinch of salt, pepper, and chopped parsley into the pan and mix it really well.
- Let’s add the beef stock and bring it to boil approximately for 8 to 10 minutes at the medium-low flame.
- Then take a bowl add cornflour and then add some water mix it well.
- Then pour the cornflour with water mixture into the pan and stir immediately.
- Mix it well until you have seen that the juices will begin to thicken.
- Continue stirring for approximately 3 to 5 minutes and remove or dish out from the hot cooking pan.
- Your kidney mixture is about to ready.
Preparation of Dough
- Take a blender add flour, butter, and salt into the blender, and blend it really well until it has converted form into dough.
- Put some flour on the surface and set the butter and flour dough on it.
- Now knead the dough slightly for approximately 5 to 10 minutes or until it’s getting smooth.
- You can cut the dough into 2 equal parts for preparing 2 trays.
- You can also cut the third part and separate it for topping on the pastry.
- The remaining larger portion of the dough is for the base of the pie pastry.
- Then roll out the piece of dough until 5 mm of thickness.
- Now take a dish and roll the pastry on a pin to help place it in the dish.
- Set all the side corners of the dough by pressing it and give it into a dish-like shape.
- Let’s cut the excess dough off the edge.
- Now add the prepared kidney mixture into the dish over the dough.
- Repeat it with the remaining dough.
- After getting ready for the remaining dough place it over the pie and remove excessive dough over the tray or dish.
- Brush the pie with egg liquid.
- Let’s bake the pie for about 40 minutes at 180 degrees or bake until golden and cooked through.
- After complete the baking process your steak and kidney pie is ready to eat.
- Serve it to your family and your loved ones.
- Enjoy the meal!
- Calories: 550 kcal
- Cholesterol: 120mg and 54%
- Fats: 26g and 34%
- Preparation Time: 20 to 25 minutes
- Baking Time: 40 to 45 minutes
- Total Time: Almost 1 hour required
- Serving: 5 to 6 Persons
- Origin: European Cuisine
- Cuisine: British Cuisine
- Taste: Salty and Crispy.