The United Kingdom, Mexico – Traditional Cornish Pastry (Meat Pie)
The Cornish pasty is a baking recipe that we bake in an oven. This dish is a little bit rare and its cooking method also rare but from this recipe, we find how to cook it in a very easy way. There are two main components of Cornish pasty the one is pastry dough which we made through bread flour, butter, and lard, the combination of these three making bread crumbs and then in dough form by just adding cold water and combine well together. While the other main component of Cornish pasty is skirt beef which we use to filling up pasty and then bake it. This dish is full of healthy diets and nutrition because of beef meat. You can make it as your own choice or customize because the filling material or ingredients you can change which means you can your own choice things, for example, you can add vegetables or many spices.
There are many alternatives of Cornish pasty one of them is Meat pie, the meaning of word, meat pie also the same as Cornish pasty because pie means pasty and filling with pasty so the meaning is same.
It is a part of European cuisine and it is traditionally eating in the United Kingdom and Mexico because this dish is basically originated from these two countries. Mexico is the part of North America that’s it is much popular in America or the United States. It is also the part of British delights
Origin and History
Every kind of dish must have origin and history in their cuisine’s introductory part with their respective cuisine’s tradition this is the most important part of any cuisine. So, when we talk about the origin of this dish (Chicken Enchiladas) is actually originated from British Cuisine but through copying many times its actual origin is disappeared and history says it is also originated from Mexico which is the part of North America as I said above. When we talk about the history it comes from Great Britain and Ireland which is also part of British cuisine. It is also known that it comes from Cornwall which is the southwestern part of England. That’s why this delight name called Cornish pasty. Some people eat it as their snacks and some people eat it for lunch at lunchtime, it’s up to you. Pasties are also called snacks because they are one of the country’s number 1 snacks or lunch food. So, as many times they copied it is famous throughout with the passage of time.
Serving with tea
As we know that snacks are not part of proper breakfast or dinner it is the part of evening light food which is helping to control your hunger. So, the snack plays very importantly in our life. As I say that pasties are the part of snacks which we can eat at lunchtime or at evening snacks. When we get snacks we need a cup of tea for twice the enjoyable moment. So when you serve it, you should serve it with a cup of tea to your family and your loved ones.
- 500 g of bread flour
- 125 g of butter
- Lard 120 g
- (6 tbsp) cold lard
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 175ml of cold water
For the steak filling
- 400g of cubed beef skirt steak
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced gold potatoes
- 1/3 cup diced turnip
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne
- 2 tbsp butter, (cut into 8 thin slices)
For Making Pasty Dough
- Take a bowl to add 500 g of bread flour for making 6 pasties.
- Then add 1 tsp of salt or to taste, 125 g of butter, lard 120 g into the bowl.
- Now first wash your hands and rub lightly through your hands until it seems like breadcrumbs.
- Then add 175ml of cold water into the bowl.
- Knead the breadcrumbs with your hands until elastic
- After making it in the form of dough wrap it and refrigerate for approximately 3 hours.
- After reserving, roll out the pastry through a roller and cut it into a circle shape from the center of the pastry.
For Steak Filling
- Now take another bowl to add 400g of the beef skirt into the bowl.
- Then add firm 300g waxy diced potatoes, 150g of turnip, 150g of diced onion into the bowl.
- In last, add salt and black pepper and mix it well.
- Mix through your hands properly.
- Now put 2 to 3 tsp of vegetable and meat mixture onto the pasty (in the center).
- For closing the pastry from the sides, brush the edges with water and fold the pastry over and crimp the edges together through your hands.
- Repeat the same step for making 6 pasties.
- Set all pasties into the baking dish and spread egg and milk glaze through the brush onto the pasties.
- The oven should be preheated.
- Bake all of them at 165 degrees for approximately 50 to 55 minutes.
- Your pasties are about to ready.
- Cut them into 2 equal pieces for eating.
- Serve them to your family and your loved ones.
- Enjoy the meal.
- Calories: 450 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 30.3g
- Proteins: 9g
- Fats: 31g
- Preparation Time: 15 to 20 minutes
- Cooking or baking time: 10 to 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 to 35 minutes required
- Serving: 4 to 5
- Origin: European region
- Cuisine: the United Kingdom and Mexican Cuisine
- Taste: crispy and salty
发表评论Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!