by Fauzan Anandika
A long time ago, humans were created with a diverse background. Race, tribe, and geographic position create a different culture and language. Our diversity makes the world beautiful and full of color. When we studied the culture, we will find out that events in one country could have different traditions even they speak the various language. Several countries have a unique way to use their language, one of them in Thailand.
Thailand is a nation that consists of 1.430 islands, and they are known for naming something with a long and detailed name. They have the longest city name in the world. Its called Krungthepmahanakhon
Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit that mean
“city of angels, bid city, big infinity diamond, undeterred Indra’s God city. The great capital of the world endowed with nine precious gemstones, the city of happiness, full of enormous Royal Palaces
that resemble heaven where the reign is the reincarnation of the gods, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnu” confusing isn’t it? Don’t worry, just call it Bangkok city.
When visiting Thailand, you don’t need to worry about their legal name that would ruin your vacation. All you need to do is enjoy the panoramic and their super delicious food. And the most popular dish among the other is Ohn No Khao Swè.
Ohn No Khao Swè is a Chiang Mai’s street food with a curry made of coconut milk, and it is better known as Khao Swe. Khao Swe means cut rice. Like its name Khao Swe use a cut rice noodle as their ingredient. The rice noodle dough boiled in a cloth rolled and cut using a scissor. Then pour the noodle with coconut milk curry and topped with various vegetables and protein.
As like other Thai food, Khao Swe use various kind of spice to make an umami taste. Khao Swe will taste better if served with a plate of crispy pork skin. If you want to make some Khao Swe, you can follow the recipe below.
- 2 tablespoon of cooking oil
- 2 cm of ginger, crushed
- 400-gram chicken fillet, dice cut
- 500 ml of coconut milk
- 250 ml chicken broth
- 3 tablespoon fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 350 gram dried noodle, cooked and strain
- 5 dried chili, soak into boiling water for 5 minutes
- 10 clove of garlic
- 10 pieces of shallot
- 2 tablespoon of coriander
- ½ tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon of curry powder
- ½ tablespoon coriander powder
- Onions, sliced
- Bean sprout, soak into hot water, and strain
- Coriander leaf
Pork skin cracker ingredient
- 1 kg of fatty pork skin
How to make pork skin cracker
- Clean the pork skin with water and drain it.
- Prepare a cooking pan, fry the pork skin until it turns yellow.
- Drain and strain the pork skin. Remove it to a serving plate.
How to cook Khao Swe
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan.
- Add all the ground spice and ginger.
- Add chicken, cook for 10 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, chicken broth, fish sauce, and salt.
- Cook until the spice soaks to the meat.
- Turn the heat off.
How to serve
- Prepare a serving bowl.
- Add noodle, pour with chicken broth.
- Add chicken fillet.
- Put the garnish and pork skin cracker.