By Robert Christopher
In Tanzania, yellow split peas serves much starts from foods to business as some fry and sell them as packed in small packets and usually sells them at a cost of 1.43$ per packet.
Let us stick in food side uses as today we will prepare rice mixed with yellow split peas, generally done in almost all parts of the country, Tanzania.
- 2 cups of yellow split peas.
- 3 cups of rice.
- 1 Coconut/2 Coconut packets.
- 1 bulb onion.
- 1 red pepper.
- 2 carrots.
- 2 full tea spoon of salt.
- Wash and boil yellow split peas, this usually takes 20-35 minutes.
- Wash and cut into cubes carrot, onion, and peppers.
- Using frying pan, start to cook onions up to when they change color
to brownish yellow, add carrots and pepper altogether and mix them up.
- Filter all water from yellow split peas and mix them within the frying pan.
- After a moment of about 5-7 minutes, remove frying pan from heat.
- Soak rice for 7-10 minutes and remove water with water filter.
- Using cooking pan, boil rice for few minutes, don’t let it to be fully ready.
- Remove from heat and filter water off. (Don’t waste the filtered water)
- Mix the filtered water with coconut well.
- Take yellow split peas, onions, carrots, pepper and mix them together with
boiled rice.(mix them gently)
- Heat up the cook into low heat level and put cooking pan with the mix in it.
- Add the coconut mixed water and let the mix boil gently.
- After 8-10 minutes your food must be ready, with all water dried off, sweet smell
and attractive yellowish color, enjoy.
African yellow split peas rice can be eaten with:
Fruits mix (Kachumbari)