Sudan – Goraasa be Dama
by Alkased Mamim
Goraasa be Dama is a Sudanese cuisine composed of beef stew and easy flatbread. Talking about Sudan, is a country located North-East Africa largely occupied with black people. Arabs settle in the northern and eastern parts at large while Africans occupies the rest.
Flatbread is mostly found in variety of Sudanese cuisines. Meat and spices occupies at large as well as juices.
Sudanese cuisines also has commonness in preparation despite places and ingredients.
Most food preparation tools and steps reflects the traditional way of cooking, including flat iron for flat bread making, hand uses for most of breading or spices making and low heat food cooking.
Due to the movements of people, you may find broad kinds of cuisines like pork meat which is highly unacceptable to Muslims.
Most of breads are kept in clean towels to keep them warm and out-dust, this is a traditional way of keeping foods for a few moments before eaten. Welcome to Goraasa be Dama cuisine that you can prepare right at home kitchen.
Things to consider
- 1/2 kg of wheat flour
- Baking powder
- 1/2 kg of steak (chop box and boil)
- Tomato paste
- 2 bulb onions
- 5 small vine ripe tomatoes
- Pepper powder
- Green bell peppers
We will prepare the roast (Dama), here are the steps;
- Wash onions, tomatoes and peppers, chop onions, green pepper and tomatoes.
- Fry onions to brownish-translucent color, add garlic and fry for 20-30 seconds.
- Add steaks, cinnamon (1/2 tea spoon), cardamon (1 teaspoon), tomatoes, green peppers and salt, cover top to boil for 5 minutes.
- Add in tomato paste with some soup to boil up tomato paste, boil for 10 minutes less, taste for salt and keep it warm.
Next for Goraasa;
- Pour flour in the pot, add baking powder (1 teaspoon) and salt, mix.
- Add water and mix to form a thick batter.
- Bring flat bread iron (frying pan) to heat and wrap some oil over it. When heated, pour some batter and flatten it round using spatula to make it thin.
- Fry it over both parts to golden color, and repeat the process to both of the remains.
- Put into clean plate for meal.
Serve Goraasa and Dama on top of it while warm for the better taste. Enjoy with family and friends, that’s where the real taste comes.
发表评论Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!