by Fauzan Anandika
Christmas has always become a wonderful time every year. People around the world have a different way of celebrating Christmas. The Philippine people celebrating Christmas in a colorful festival named The Parol Star Lantern Festival. A festival held in San Fernando City become an infamous tourist attraction in the Philippines.
The parol word itself comes from Spain languages means lantern or light. The Philippine people place light as a significant element in their life. They treat light as symbolize of a star that shines on the Christian people in Asia. Because of the Parol Festival, San Fernando become known as The Philippine Christmas City.
Parol Festival gives opportunity to the lantern industry since they can sell various kinds of the lantern in a significant amount every year. Ligligan Parol or Lantern competition has been starting since 1904, its start in a religious ceremony “The Lubenas” nine days before Christmas. This ceremony develops into a big festival, and they start to use a bigger lantern and more complex design to participate in the festival.
In 1931 electricity was established in San Fernando that make a further upgrade to the lantern festival. Now, the Philippines can make a dynamic light on their lantern which makes it more beautiful. Aside from their Parol Festival, the Philippines also have delicious food to be served on Christmas. One of them is Chicken Inasal.
Chicken Inasal is a grilled chicken dish marinate with traditional spices to create an authentic Philippine dish. To cook chicken Inasal, you can use a charcoal grill or a non-stick pan and continuously rub it with a special topical sauce.
Chicken Inasal can easily be found in every big city in the Philippines, but it also quite easy to cook by yourself. In the recipe below I will explain how to cook tasty chicken Inasal.
- 1 kg of chicken, cut into 6
- 2 tablespoon of ginger, chopped
- 3 clove of garlic, chopped
- 2 stack of lemongrass, chopped
- 30 ml of coconut vinegar
- ½ cup of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 50 gram of brown sugar
- 50 ml of soda lemon flavor
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper powder
- 3 tablespoon annatto oil
- 50 gram of melted margarine
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of calamansi juice
- 200 gram of coconut cream
How to cook
- Put coconut cream in a cooking pot.
- Heat coconut cream until boiling.
- Lower the heat and cook until dried.
- Scrape the coconut with a wood spatula cook until completely dried.
- Stir the coconut after turn brownies.
- Remove Latik into the serving bowl.
- Prepare a big bowl.
- Add chicken lemongrass, salt, black pepper, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, vinegar, soda lemon, and lemon juice.
- Mix all the ingredients and marinate for 3 hours.
- Prepare another bowl, mix margarine, annatto oil, salt, and calamansi juice.
- Grill the chicken and rub continuously with topical sauce.
- Move chicken Inasal into a serving plate with a side of Latik.