Pakistan – Traditional Desserts Seviyan
By Dahiza Umar
WHAT IS SEVIYAN
Vermicelli known as seviyan in urdu. Vermicelli is actually a very thin pasta type thing usually elongated but also available as small sized.
ORIGIN OF VERMICELLI
Vermicelli is italian word used to describe long and thin pasta but this is mostly made in ASIA, especially south India and Pakistan.
In Pakistan this is mostly fried in oil, usually made up of plain flour or corn starch.
SEVIYAN IN PAKISTAN
On Eid, Muslims here start up there day with eating meetha(sweet) that is usually seviyan. On shabrat ( islamic event) seviyan is also made which is distributed to the poors.
On usual dinner it is also served as dessert.
VARIETIES OF SEVIYAN
Many methods are known in Pakistan to make seviyan. Some people love to make seviyan in milk and some like in sugar syrup. There is also a thing famous on eid is ‘’sheer khurma’’ in which so many of nuts and fruits are added.
- Vermicelli 1 cup
- Butter 2 tbsp
- Sugar 1 cup
- Milk 1 litre
- Green cardamom 4
- Almond 3 tbsp
- Pistachio 3 tbsp
- Saffron 4 tbsp
- Kewra essence 1/2 tsp
- Condense milk 1/2 cup
- Take butter in pan and add vermicelli with cardamom and fry.
- After 5 minutes, when vermicelli browned enough add milk and let it cooked for 15 minutes.
- Thick consistency is reached, add condense milk and mixed it well.
- Now add saffron milk and kewra essence into seviyan at end.
- Serve and garnished it with nuts.
SERVINGS: 6 PEOPLE
PREPRATION TIME: 30 to 40 minutes
发表评论Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!