by Robina Shaheen
About the dish
This dish is the special invention of the people known to be as ”SHINWARI”. This dish is made up of lamb with 3 4 ingredients and when cooked on slow heat it gives a mouth watering effect.
The meat is used for making the special shinwari cuisine is DUMBA known to be as RAM or TUP. This meat has unique taste and giving the dish full kick of flavors.
The word karahi is used in many dishes like chicken karahi, mutton karahi etc. Karahi is actually a pot in which this dish is cooked or even served so the name is given to the dish is karahi.
This dish is made by mutton or chicken at home but not in the restaurants these simple ingredients are used to flavor this dish by adding yogurt, cream, salt and pepper but the method of cooking is so unique so it give the flavor, texture and tenderness to the beautiful dish. The meat is so juicy and tendered so that the kick of flavors give yourself a go to meet the heaven in the dish.
When we went to the restaurants this dish is served either in the clay pot or in the karahi where it is cooked they garnished it with the green coriander or green chilies, ginger slices and lemon juice is drizziled.
Shinwari people is the mxiture of pakhtoon and afghan, those who are originated from the are Peshawar, in the province ”KHYBER PAKHTOON KHAWAN”
Shinwari is now so famous through out the Pakistan many restaurants are made according to the flavors of the shinwari cuisine even in different area of Pakistan like Punjab, Sindh etc but it is actually from the combination of Pakistan’s special province KPK and Afghans.
Time consumed to making this dish:
- preparation time : 10 minutes
- cooking time : 2 hours
- total time : 2 hours and 10 minutes
- 1 kg lamb
- 500 grams fat
- 4 tbsp oil / butter
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 4 tbsp ginger paste
- 4 tbsp green chili paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cup mutton stock
- 4 tbsp green chilies
- 4 tbsp coriander leaves
- 4 tbsp ginger slices.
- 2 lemon slices
- 2 lemon juice
Method of cooking
- Take a cooking pot and add oil into it than add meat and fry it until it colors changes and turn into golden brown.
- Now add garlic ginger paste, green chilies, salt, pepper and add 4 glass of water.
- Let it cook for 1 hour, than see if the meat is cooked and water is dried saute it for 10 minutes.
- Now add yogurt and cream with mutton stock, now let it cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- When thick consistency maintained and added the green chilies, coriander and ginger on the top.
- Serve the dish by adding lemon slice and adding lemon juice over it.