Pakistan – Spicy Chicken Samosa
by Dahiza Umar
INTRODUCTION TO THE DISH
This is a type of snack, loved by the people of Pakistan. Specifically, this dish is from the region Punjab of Pakistan. The use of ingredients spices like cumin, herbs, coriander, butter is very common in Punjab. This dish is very popular served as an evening snack or roadside street food. The outer layer of samosa is very crispy made up of Plain flour dough and filled with any stuffing. Stuffing here which is very common is potato stuffing. This is famously known as ”ALOO KA SAMOSA”. Aloo is known as Potato in Urdu. So the stuffing is upon as personal choice whenever you made at home.
VARIETIES OF SAMOSA
There are many varieties of samosa served in Pakistan, even if you are moving through the roadside or sitting in the high-fi restaurants. Following are the varieties of samosa served in Pakistan :
- Aloo ka samosa ( potato stuffed )
- Keema ka samosa ( Mince stuffed )
- Vegetable samosa
- Daal ka samosa ( lentil’s samosa)
- Chicken samosa
- Fish samosa
- Punjabi samosa
- Jam samosa ( sweetened samosa )
- many many varieties more upon your taste.
STREET FOOD OF PAKISTAN
Street food is very famous in Pakistan. The king of the fried street food served as a snack is not other than SAMOSA. Samosa is a dish, eaten as an evening snack with tea. Or either consumed by some people in Lunch with some Naan, Roti (pieces of bread types ). Many hawkers have this snack with Pakory served on roadside stalls. Many restaurants have introduced huge varieties of Samosa like Chinese samosa, Pasta samosa, and many more versions of it. There are many famous bakeries that have this typical taste of samosa, which came from the authentic flavors.
TRADITION OF PAKISTAN
In Pakistan, we have many varieties of samosa served during lunch, evening snacks, and even at Aftar in Ramzan. During the holy month of Ramzan, many different kinds of dishes are made. And samosa is among them. Many different styles and shapes are made to make samosa. The change in shape makes it totally different and loved by people. Different stuffing and shapes are giving zest to the meal.
Samosa is actually a triangular shaped snack filled traditionally with potato filling. But there are now evolved to many new shapes to make people enjoy their new meal. Following are the shapes of samosa served nowadays
- Preparation time : 20 minutes
- cooking time : 20 minutes
- Total time required : 40 minutes
- Calories : 200
- Carbohydrates : 24 grams
- Protein : 3.5 grams
- Fats : 19 grams
FOLLOWING ARE THE SAUCE, TO SERVED WITH SAMOSA
- Mint sauce
- podina k chutney
- Imli k chutney ( tamarind sauce )
- Channy sauce ( white gram bean sauce )
- Chaat masala
- Green chilies
- Fresh coriander
- Salad ( onions, tomatoes. cabbage etc)
SAMOSA DOUGH MAKING
- Plain flour: 2 cups
- salt: 1 tbsp
- Oil: 4 tbsp
- Cumin: 1 tbsp
- Water: to knead
METHOD OF MAKING
Take flour and add all the dried ingredients into it. Knead it with water and let it rest for further procedure.
- Chicken : 1 kilogram ( boneless )
- salt : 1 tbsp
- Onions chopped : 1
- Tomatoes chopped : 1
- Garlic paste : 1 tbsp
- Ginger paste : 1 tbsp
- Green chilies paste : 2 tbsp
- Oil : 2 tbsp
- Butter : 4 tbsp
- Cumin powder : 1 tbsp
- Red pepper crushed : 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper : 1/2 tsp
METHOD OF COOKING
- Take a cooking pot and add onions into it with oil and butter.
- Now sauté it little then add chicken mince and fry it.
- On that add garlic ginger paste with tomatoes and cover the lid over it.
- After 10 minutes when moisture of chicken dried out, add all the spices into it.
- Mix it well for 10 further minutes and stuffing is ready to assembling.
STUFFING THE CHICKEN
- Take a small amount of dough and flat it by rolling pin wheel.
- Now half the flat round shaped dough with the help of knife.
- Now add minimal amount of stuffing at a side and give it triangular shape as shown in the given picture.
- Let the samosa prepared and set for frying.
FRYING OF SAMOSA
Deep fry samosa for 5 minutes a side until they get golden brown and served with the required sauces.
发表评论Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!