Pakistan – Sindhi Nargisi Koftay
By Dahiza Umar
What is nargisi kofty?
‘’This is very unique kind of dish in which chicken egg is wrapped up with spiced mince of lamb or beef and put into gravy/ curry’’
They are called kofta because kofta is actually a mince meat balls and they also shaped like meat balls but with a twist.
The name nargisi kofta comes into mind because when it is cut it cooked up like a flower.
Nargisi is known as ‘’NARCISSUS FLOWER’’ in English and kofta look like the petals of this flower.
What a beautiful dish it is.
ORIGIN OF THIS DISH
Nargeesi is also an Iranian dish which is also this flower inspired dish in which egg is served in the middle which is served which the spiced spinach.
This dish is from very old era of MUGHALS so this dish is also known by their richness and flavors.
This recipe is continue to survive from the old days to now and become part os our national cuisine.
NARGEESI KOFTA IN PAKISTAN
This dish is famous in SINDH, so here it is known as sindhi nargesi kofty.
On bakra eid, special dinner is organized and this dish is also the star of the menu because it is everyone’s favourite.
- Mince lamb/ beef 1 kilogram
- Chickpea flour 4 tbsp( for binding)
- Onion chopped 1 small
- Salt 1 tsp
- Red chili powder 1 tsp
- Garlic paste 1 tsp
- Ginger paste 1 tsp
- Green chilies 2
- Pomegranate seeds dried 3 tbsp
- Onion 1 large
- Oil 4 tbsp
- Tomatoes 2 large
- Yogurt 1cup
- Garlic chopped 2 tbsp
- Ginger chopped 2 tbsp
- Green chilies 2 tbsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Black pepper 1 tbsp
- Chili flakes 1 tsp
- Turmeric 1 tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder 1 tbsp
- Garam masala 1 tbsp
- Hard boiled eggs 8
- First boil the eggs for 10 to 12 minutes. We want hard boiled eggs.
- Now take mince and add all the mince spice and chopped onions, garlic and ginger and mixed it well.
- Now add chickpea flour and mixed it well so all the moisture is absorbed and it me stick to eggs.
- Now peal off the eggs and cover it up with our mince
- Make all the koftas and saute it in oil for 10 minutes.
- Half fry the kofta, and set it aside.
- Now for the gravy take onion, tomatoes, garlic and ginger in a blender and blend all thing together.
- Now add oil in a pan and add the vegetables paste into oil and add all the spices.
- Cooked it on medium flame so the half of the moisture is absorbed.
- Than add our half fried koftas to our gravy and add 1 glass of water.
- And set it on medium low flame for 15 minutes.
- Now when the water is completely dried stir it for a while and serve
- It is served with naan and chapati of your choice.
- This is actually not wrong to said that an art piece on a plate.
SERVINGS: 6 PERSONS
PREPARATION TIME: 45 MINUTES TO 1 HOUR
发表评论Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!