Methi matar malai is one of the local cuisines of Pakistan and India. This dish is mostly eaten in the winter season because of the fresh fenugreek (Methi). This dish has three main components which are Methi(Fenugreek), Matar(Peas) and Malai(Cream) which adds beauty to this dish. As we add cream to this dish so it becomes tasty creamy curry. It is a popular winter dish in Pakistan as well as in India. This dish is very healthy for diabetic people because of fenugreek leaves. Many people like to eat this dish because of its good taste and smell. It is a healthy dish which adds more popularity of this dish among people. I suggest you make this dish at home by following my method and I’m sure you’ll like it as it is creamy and tasty.
Methi matar malai is healthy as well as a delicious dish. This dish has fenugreek leaves and green peas due to which it becomes more healthy. People who are suffering from diseases such as diabetes should eat this dish because it slows down the rate of sugar absorption in the blood. The fenugreek leaves are also healthy for heart patients because they reduce cholesterol.
Taste in Pakistan
Many people from Pakistan and also from India like to eat this dish just because of its good taste. As this is the famous dish of winter season so no one leaves the chance of eating this healthy and delicious dish.
- 1 tbs Cooking oil
- 2 medium Onion sliced
- ½ tbs Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder or to taste
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt 1 tsp or to taste
- 2-3 Green chillies
- 2 medium Tomatoes
- 150g Fresh fenugreek leaves
- 1 tbs Cooking oil
- Green peas 1 & ½ Cup
- Cooking oil 3-4 tbs
- 1 tbs Cumin seeds
- 13-14 Cashew nuts
- 2-3 Green Cardamom
- 2-3 Cloves
- 6-7 cloves Garlic
- Darchini (Cinnamon stick) 1
- 1 Black cardamom
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Sliced Green chilli
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- Water ½ Cup or as required
- Cream ½ Cup
- Chopped fresh coriander
Steps to Make
- First of all, take a pan and add 1 tsp cooking oil, 2 medium-sized onion, 13-14 cashew nuts, 2-3 green cardamom 2-3 cloves, 6-7 cloves garlic, 2-3 green chilies in that pan and mix it well for 2 minutes.
- After adding these above ingredients now add 2-3 medium-sized tomatoes in that pan and cook it until the tomato gets soft.
- Set aside that pan and let it cool.
- Now take a chopper and add the above mixture in it and chop it well and set it aside.
- On the other hand, take 150g fresh fenugreek leaves, add 1 tsp cooking oil to another pan and add these fenugreek leaves into it and cook it 3-4 minutes.
- After that add 1 cup of green peas in it and cook it for 4-5 minutes on medium flame.
- Now put this mixture in a bowl and set it aside for later use.
- Take another pan and add 3-4 tsp cooking oil, 1 tbs cumin seeds, one cinnamon stick, one black cardamom, one bay leaf in it.
- Add the previous (ground) mixture in that pan and mix it well and cook it on high flame for 5 minutes.
- After that add the above peas mixture, 1/2 tsp coriander powder, 1tsp red chili powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 cup water to this pan, mix it well and bring it to oil.
- Now cover that pan and cook it on low flame for 8-10 minutes.
- After cooking it you have to add 1/2 cup of cream, 1 sliced green chili, 1 tsp garam masala powder, chopped fresh coriander in it and cook it on low flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Now remove the cover and let it uncovered for 5 minutes until the oil separates.
- Your delicious methi matar malayi is ready to eat.
- Take it out in another dish and sprinkle chopped fresh coriander in it.
Preparation and Serving time
This dish is not too difficult but it needs some time. As I’ve mentioned my above recipe, If you make this dish by following my steps then it will take only 50-60 minutes only. And this dish can be served to 5-6 persons. If you want to make it for more people then you just have to add more quantity of above ingredients. This dish is commonly eaten with chapatis, so it would be good if you serve this dish with chapatis.