by Dahiza Umar
INTRODUCTION TO THE DISH
This is an amazing dish of the Pakistan made especially on the occasions like EID UL AZHA, any get together to enjoy the Desi Food like here is the one.
IF MUST CHOOSE BETWEEN HEALTHY AND TASTY, I GO FOR SECOND OPTION
This is a dish made up of Liver of an animal either it be lamb, beef or chicken but traditionally this dish is made up by mutton liver and cooked very quickly so they known as by quick recipe. KALEEJI is a word used in urdu for Liver so this dish also known as Kaleeji fry, Tawa kaleeji, kaleeji masala. It is one hand dish made quickly by using one pot to add all ingredients.
KALEEJI IN PAKISTAN
This dish is not made usually on daily basis like it is not an everyday dish it is cooked either on dawat, dinner or special festivals or a night to enjoy desi Pakistani food.
On EID UL AZZHA, is a islamic festival on which animals are scarified and distributed their meat to the needy ones. This special dish is made after scarification of the animal in the morning and everybody has to take a bite from it as a ritual. This dish can be made by adding all the organs like heart, kidney, brain etc and this dish is also very special and common in Lahore, Pakistan known as TAKA TAK.
This dish is also served in the streets of the Pakistan as the local food and on high fi restaurants of Pakistan. On road side restaurants a large flat cooking utensil is used in which this dish is made and everybody would love it
ORIGIN OF THE DISH
This dish is famous in the Punjab area especially in Lahore so it is said that this dish is arrived from Punjab. The Indian subcontinent is the region of all three countries so it is said that this dish is included in the national cuisine of all three regions like Pakistan, India and Bangladesh.
- Preparation time : 10 minutes
- cooking time : 20 minutes
- TOTAL time : 30 minutes
- 203 Calories
- 13 grams Carbohydrate
- 52 grams Fat.
- 36 grams Protein
- Liver : 1 kilogram
- onion : 1
- tomato : 1
- Garlic paste : 1 tsp
- Ginger paste : 1 tsp
- Green chili paste : 2 tbsp
- salt : 1 tsp
- turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- red chili powder : 1 tsp
- black pepper powder : 1 tsp
- yogurt : 1/2 cup
- oil : 4 tbsp
- butter : 4 tbsp
- In a pot add oil with butter and saute onions into it, when onion’s color little golden add garlic ginger paste and tomatoes into it.
- On the other side add liver pieces into the boiling water so the smell of the liver went away.
- Boil for 2 3 minutes and set aside.
- Now see the add all the spices into the Onion mixture and fry it with adding 1/2 cup of water into it, so the spices may not burn.
- Now add liver into it and add yogurt into it and let it cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- With the masala and yogurt liver is cooked and served it with roti / naan.