by Usama Tariq
Turnip is a special kind of vegetable which has many benefits. Shalajam is an Urdu word that means Turnip in English. In Pakistan, every person knows about that dish, and it is very common in many restaurants like small restaurants dhabas, etc., it is full of nutrition and rich in healthy diets. Turnip has a special space in vegetables. There are many benefits of this vegetable like treatments of some diseases; it means that it is full of healthy for a patient. When we talk about turnip with spinach, it is the combination of two vegetables that makes a special dish which is known as “Palak Shaljam” in the Pakistani language. They are seasonal vegetables and found in the winter season only. The combination of those two makes a very delightful and delicious dish. It is cheap in price and can easily afford by a poor person. It is available in many restaurants but you can make it at your home by following these easy steps and share it with your family and your loved ones. You can serve it chapatti of wheat, sourdough, and boiled rice, but it is commonly served with boiled rice.
The origin of that dish is the Indian Subcontinent. It is famous in Pakistan but even more famous in India. So the dish is popular among Asian people and with the passage of time it famous all over the world.
- Masala (Base Gravy):
- (Coriander powder) ½ tbs
- (Cumin seeds) ½ tsp
- (Garlic) crushed 1 tsp
- (Green chilies) chopped 2
- (Onion) chopped 1 small
- (Red chili powder) ½ tsp or to taste
- (Salt) ½ tsp or to taste
- (Tomato) cubes 1 large
- (Turmeric powder) ¼ tsp
- -Oil 3-4 tbs
Spinach & Turnip
- (Spinach) chopped 1 & ½ Cups
- (Turnip) boiled & cubes 2 medium
- (Black pepper) crushed ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder ½ tsp
- (Fresh coriander) chopped 1-2 tbs
Cooking Method for making Spice base Gravy
- First, take a wok put it on a stove with a medium level flame.
- Add oil, cumin seeds, cook on low flame.
- Then add green chilies and again mix them well.
- Now add chopped onion and again mix it.
- Let fry that chopped onion until its color changed to a golden brown.
- Then add crushed garlic, tomato cubes in it and mix them really well.
- Let’s continuously cook them at low flame.
- Now add salt to taste turmeric powder, coriander powder, and red chili powder then mix it again well.
- After mixing and cooking cover the wok and let it simmer for approximately 2 to 3 minutes on medium flame.
- Your Masala(spice) base gravy is ready.
Cooking Procedure for Spinach and turnip
- When you properly ready or prepared Masala(spice) base gravy go to the next step to cook that dish.
- Now take chopped spinach and add it to the prepared Spice based gravy.
- Mix it well.
- After mixing well cover the wok and cook it on low flame continuously for 3 minutes (approximately).
- After uncovering it and mix again.
- Now take cubes of boiled Turnip and add it into the wok then mix it well.
- Let’s cook for approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add black pepper powder during cooking and mix it well.
- Then add garam masala powder and chopped fresh coriander cover it and cook it for a minute.
- When you prepared it then dish it out into the bowl and served it with your loved ones.
- Serve it with boiled rice, chapatti, naan, etc.
- Enjoy the meal!
- Calories: 140 kcal
- Proteins: 8g
- Fats: 2.5g
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes required
- Serving: 3 to 4 Persons
- Origin: Indian Subcontinent
- Cuisine: Pakistan, India (Mughlai)
- Taste: Moderate and Salty