Pakistan, India, Bangladesh – Mutton Payee (Mutton Trotters)
by Dahiza Umar
This recipe is the Pakistan’s most favorite dish especially in the province Punjab. Tender, palatable, flavorful, aromatic and sensational like words are enough to get you salivating and appreciate this dish, this recipe of lamb trotters are definitely going to take you to heaven and you will enjoy every bite of it by the tenderness and aromas of the dish.
This dish consist of mutton or beef legs also known as trotters that cooked traditionally over night on slow heat in clay pot or nowadays in pressure cooker than the bone marrow from the bones comes out in the aromatic gravy and the addition of traditional spices like nutmeg, cloves give it a go to a dish. Lamb trotters is a strongly flavored meat that needs to be cooked well to bring out its unique taste by adding good spices to it.
Traditionally when the lamb payee/ trotters are cooked on slow heat dum style to retain its moisture, flavors and tenderness. Meat should first be cooked over high heat to seal juices and then cooked on low heat that steal the flavors aromas of the meat in this dish
It is served on festivals and gatherings and made for special guests or weddings. This dish is originated from the Central Asian cuisine and now this dish is the part of Pakistan’s national cuisine and also in Indian and Bangladesh cuisine. Historically, when people used wood or coal as a cooking fuel and the clay pot is used to seal the juices and flavors of it.
- 2 large mutton/beef Trotters
- 2 cups Plain Yogurt
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- 2 tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 4 tomatoes sliced
- 1 tbsp whole spice powder (Garam Masala Powder)
- 4 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 2 tbsp Garlic Paste
- 6 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp sliced ginger
- 1 bunch of Fresh Coriander Leaves
- 4 Green Chillies
- 2 Onions
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 cups of Cooking Oil
- first of all to make gravy, we have to make the curry or gravy that is made for the the trotters to cooked in, we put the oil in the wok and add onion to saute it.
- After some time when the onions are little golden add garlic ginger paste to make it little golden and the aromas comes out of it when saute it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- now at this time, first boil the lamb payee for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Then add this boiled trotters in the saute onion and fry it with onion for 10 to 20 minutes.
- After that add tomatoes into it and 6 glasses on water and add all dry spices into it and let it cooked it for 2 hours on slow heat or in pressure cooker for half hour.
- when the water is dried out, add yogurt and saute it for a while to make a creamy curry to make everything misible.
- than again add 2 glasses of water and make it cooked again for 15 to 20 minutes to make the thin consistency gravy.
- at the end add fresh green chilies and fresh coriander.
Cuisine : Asian, Pakistan
Course : Main course
Preparation time : half hour
Cooking time : 2 to 3 hours
发表评论Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!