Pakistan, India, Bangladesh – Halwa Puri (Semolina pudding with Fried Dough)
by Muhammad Usama
This traditional halwa puri is popular in Pakistan as well as in India. This dish is eaten as breakfast in Pakistan. Many people doing breakfast from this delicious dish on weekend. Halwa (pudding) means a sweet dish. This halwa is made from semolina (sooji) and bittersweet in taste. On the other hand, Poori (is also called soft fried dough) is like a chapati which is made from White flour or all-purpose flour is very delicious in taste when eating with semolina halwa.
Importance of this dish in Pakistan
When we talk about the importance and value of Halwa Pori it is the most common morning breakfast in Pakistan. This dish is available at many famous restaurants as well as at local restaurants too. This dish is also called a street dish because in Punjab desi people eat this breakfast from the streets of Pakistan and enjoy their cuisine. This dish is famous in Punjab as compared to other provinces. You can eat it all time but Pakistan Punjabi people eat it every weekend as breakfast. It is famous as breakfast among Pakistani people for example Lahore is the main city in which it is more popular, as well as Faislabad, Multan, Sahiwal, etc.
Origin of this dish
This special dish is originated from the Indian Subcontinent. It is rooted in the North India Punjab. Some people say it is originated from Persia but I suggest it is originated from the north India Punjab by the Muslims of India in the Indian Subcontinent.
Importance and taste of this dish in Lahore, Pakistan
Lahore is the root of breakfasts. Many breakfasts come from Lahore and become popular in Pakistan with the passage of time. Before Pakistan, in the city of Lahore, there are many dhabas from the side of Androon Lahore which is also present there. Androon Lahore is a place where all antique things, old breakfast are available. This is the beauty of Lahore.
Serving as the first priority for any restaurant or Dhabas. Served better, take result better. Semolina halwa is specially made for Poori(fried dough) when you serve this dish, served it together because the combination of these two things is very delicious and delightful.
- (Flour) 2 cups
- (Salt) ½ tsp
- (Water) warm as required
- Oil for frying
Preparation Of Puri
- First, take a medium-size bowl.
- Add flour, salt to taste, warm water as required into the bowl.
- Now knead it well through your hands to form into a soft dough.
- Grease the dough with oil.
- Cover the bowl with a piece of cloth and set it aside for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
- Then grease you’re both hands with some oil and make small balls of dough with your hands
- When you are done with small balls of dough leave it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Now again grease your both hands and surface too in which you flattened the small dough balls.
- Let’s flat the small balls of dough through your hands.
- On the other hand, heat the oil for frying puri one-by-one.
- When you are done with it take a one dough puri and deep fry until its color changes into light brown at the medium-low flame.
- You are done with the preparation of puri.
- Served it with suji ka halwa (semolina pudding) which I tell under below:
- Ghee ½ cup (solid form)
- (Green cardamom) 3-4
- (Semolina) ¾ cup
- (Sugar) 1 & ¼ cup
- (Water) 3 cups
- Food color ½ tsp or as required
- Kewra essence ½ tsp
- Dry fruits as required (for garnishing)
Cooking Method To Prepare Suji Ka Halwa
- To prepare suji ka halwa take a wok put it on the stove.
- Add desi ghee (a special type of ghee made with milk malai) heat it at low flame.
- Then add green cardamom and sauté it for 1 minute.
- Then add suji (semolina) in it and roast it on medium flame until its color changes and fragrant.
- When the color is changed add a cup of sugar to it and mix it really well.
- Then add 3 cups of water or as required into it.
- Then add yellow food color as required mix it really well.
- Now cover the wok and cook it on a medium flame for approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
- Let’s uncover the wok and add Kewra essence in it and leave it for simmer approximately for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mix well and your suji ka halwa is ready to eat with delicious puri.
- Garnish it with some dry fruits if necessary.
- Serve this semolina pudding (halwa) with puri (with fried dough).
- Serve it to your loved ones and your family or friends.
- Enjoy the meal.
- Calories: 340 kcal
- Proteins: 24g
- Fats: 18.5g
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: Minimum 45 minutes required
- Serving: 4 to 5 Persons
- Origin: Indian Subcontinent
- Cuisine: Pakistan, Indian (Mughlai)
- Taste: Sweet and bitter
发表评论Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!