By Dahiza Umar
INTRODUCTION TO OUR PAKISTANI’S TRADITION
Pakistani flavors have unique mixture of dried spices which have aroma that gives fragrance to the dish.Every region province has its special dishes and flavors.As Punjabi culture is known by the use of butter and fresh desi ghee in every dish.
Introduction to HAREESA(dish)
Hareesa is a type of gravy dish popular in all over the Pakistan. Hareesa is made up of wheat, barley,meat,lentils,and aromatic spices.
The dish is has a long procedure, every lentil and wheat and meat is mixed up with the traditional spice and let it cook for several hours.
In pakistan hareesa is available in most of the restaurants as a main course and also as a street food snack.
ORIGIN OF HALEEM
Hareesa is the popular Arabian dish known as HAREES. But the dish hareesa cooked in Pakistan has some variations of spices and cooking method.
- Whole wheat 300 grams
- Rice half cup
- Red lentil half cup
- dal channa half cup
- Barley half cup
- Green chilli paste 2 table spoon
- Ginger 2 table spoon
- Garlic 2 table spoon
- Onion 4
- Chicken/ lamb 1 kilogram
- Red chilli powder 1 table spoon
- Coriander powder 1 table spoon
- Fennel seeds 1 tea spoon
- Salt to taste
- Oil half cup
METHOD OF MAKING
- Combine all the lentils and grain and wash by changing water and soak for hours
- Take soaked lentils and grains in pot add salt,ginger,garlic,green chilli,and water. Bring to boil and cook for 1 hour
- When grain are very soft blend to smooth paste
- Cook further on slow heat
- Fry onion in separate pan until golden. Take chicken add all spices , water and cover the pot to cook chicken for 30 minutes
- Remove chicken from gravy let it cool and shred it
- Add shredded chicken/lamb to lentil and grain pot
- Now after 20 minutes remove pot from stove and stir the hareesa until it gets sticky
- Heat the oil in pan fry ginger garlic and chillies for 2 minutes and add it to the hareesa pot
- Garnish with sliced ginger, fried onions and chat masala.
- In punjab special desi ghee tarka have made on cooked hareesa, just heat the desi ghee or butter and drop it on the bowl over hareesa and enjoy it with lassi.
One bowl of hareesa contains
- Calories 80
- Total fat 5 grams
- Cholesterol 21 milligram
- Total carbohydrates 7.8 grams
- Protein 7.5 grams