by Dahiza Umar
INTRODUCTION TO THE DISH
This is a special dish of an all-time favorite. This is actually a food, usually found on the hawker’s stall and roadside stalls. This is a special type of snack, consist of yogurt, lentils balls and some sauces, etc. This dish has many components to assemble. Then this dish is come out as a plate of happiness. The taste of the dish is palatable and delicate. This dish has a salty effect with sweet and sour. This dish has many flavors and the combination of these types of flavors gives an amazing taste to the palate.
NAME OF THE DISH
This is a dish that has many components. To make this type of dish, giving many flavors and texture. The name comes from one or two main components of the dish like Lentils balls called ”BHALLE” and the other main ingredient is the use of yogurt. Yogurt called ”DAHI” in Urdu. So the use of these two ingredients named this dish DAHI BHALLE.
COMPONENTS OF THE DISH
This is a dish full of different things with different tastes to come into one plate. Every component has a different texture with an amazingly different flavor. Following are the main components of the dish given :
- Lentils balls
- Mint sauce
- Tamarind sauce
- Mango powder
- Green fresh coriander
- Chat Masala etc
PAKISTANI STREET FOOD
This is the food very popular in Pakistan. The varieties of the dish served and enjoy by the people. The famous dish of all times in the history of Pakistan’s is DAHI BHAREE. This is a dish which can be loved by all people because the choice of the ingredients is totally yours. Either you want to add sweet tamarind sauce or not. You can make your own plate by adding components of your choice.
Hawkers are there on the roadside, where these types of things can be served. Even in Pakistan, there are many restaurants who serve these street food which is a part of the Street food.
On the road side restaurants, there are many hawkers having huge pot having yogurt and bharee . Different pot are also served having different sauces and salad to make someone’s special choice dish.
HISTORY OF THE DISH
This dish is included in Punjabi cuisine. The special street food of Punjab’s Pakistan has many variations. This recipe is appeared in the 18th century, at the time of the Mughals. India and Pakistan, both countries has this dish included in the national cuisine of street food.
ORIGIN OF THE DISH
- Preparation time : 20 minutes
- Cooking time : 40 minutes
- Total time : 60 minutes
- Calories : 190
- Carbohydrates : 8 grams
- Fats : 10 grams
- Protein : 9 grams
- Cholesterol : 4 mg
LENTILS BALLS (BHAREE)
- Soaked yellow lentils : 1/2 cup
- Soaked red lentils : 1/2 cup
- Soaked gram beans : 1/2 cup
- Salt : 1/2 tsp
- Cumin : 1 tbsp
- Baking powder : 1/2 tsp
- water : to make thick paste
- Oil for frying
METHOD OF COOKING
- Take all the lentils, which were soaked before. Add into the blender and make a thick paste out of it.
- Now make sure not lumps are in the paste.
- Then add all the dried ingredients like salt, cumin, etc
- Let it set for half an hour so the paste rise by reaction of baking soda.
- Now its time for frying
Frying of bharre
- Now take a spoonful of paste and drop it into warm oil.
- After two three minutes, turn the side of the ball shaped bhare.
- Crispy brown on the both sides and let it set for further use.
MINT SAUCE ( GREEN CHUTNEY )
- Mint : 1 cup
- Coriander : 1 cup
- Green chilies : 5 to 8
- salt : 1 tsp
- Garlic : 2 cloves
- water : to make paste
METHOD OF MAKING
Add all things together in a blender and just make a paste out of it. Green sauce is ready to serve.
TAMARIND SAUCE (SWEET SOUR CHUTNEY)
- Tamarind : 1 cup
- sugar : 4 tbsp
- salt : 1/2 tsp
- red pepper : 1/2 tsp
METHOD OF COOKING
- Take tamarind and add 1 cup of warm water into it.
- Now in a cooking pot add water and tamarind with all the other ingredients and cook for 5 minutes.
- Until it gets thick and cool to serve.
YOGURT PREPARATION FOR BHARRE
Just take 2 cups of yogurt and mix it to make a paste like texture.
- Take bhare and arrange into a palate.
- Now on the top, add yogurt with all the sauces and chat masala etc.
- serve it and enjoy!