By Adan Umar
What is magaz masala?
In urdu, brain is called magaz. Magaz masala is very popular desi dish in Pakistan. In this dish brain of lamb, cow, buffalo is cooked with traditional local spices and served as brain in gravy. Masala is known as any sort of gravy or curry in which brain is cooked and served with chapati.
Origin of magaz masala
This dish is originated from subcontinent and after separation it become part of national cuisine of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. Every region has its known flavors and method of cooking is also different.
Magaz masala in Pakistan
In Pakistan, it is served as thick gravy in which brain is cooked and served with tandoori chapati or naan. It is also added in various dishes like nihari and taka tak to enhance the flavors and texture of dish.
Especially on EID UL AZHA, this dish is made in every house where QURBANI, sacrifice perform.
- Lamb/ beef brain 2
- Onion chopped 2 large
- Tomato chopped 2 large
- Garlic paste 1 tbsp
- Ginger 1 tbsp
- Green chilies chopped 4 to 5
- Salt 1 tbsp
- Turmeric 1 tsp
- Red chili flakes 1 tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder 1 tbsp
- Garam masala 1 tsp
- Fresh coriander 4 tbsp
- Dried fenugreek 1 tbsp
- Yogurt 1/2 cup
- Oil 4 tbsp
- First of all take brain and wash it properly than in boiling water add turmeric powder and brain anf bring it to boil for 5 minutes.
- Now take brain out of water and cut into small pieces remove veins from the brain if visible.
- Set the brain aside
- Take a pan oil in a pan add oil into it and add sliced onion.
- Fry onion until they get translucent than add garlic ginger paste and fry.
- After 5 minutes of frying add water around a glass and tomatoes into it.
- Cover the lid and put it into slow flame for 5 minutes.
- Add all the spices into cooking gravy and again put it on low heat for further 10 minutes.
- Now after 10 minutes, when water is dried add brain into it and mixed it very well.
- Add 1 cup of water and put it on medium flame for 10 minutes.
- See if the chunks of brain are large just mash it into small pieces.
- Stir it on high flames until all the moisture dried out and gravy just stick to brain.
- Served it having fresh coriander and ginger slice on the top.
- It is eaten with roti/ naan or if you are in Punjab how can you forget lassi
Serving: 4 people
Preparation time : 1 hour
Fats : 34 grams
Protein : 22 grams
Carbohydrates : 15 grams