Mexico – Shrimp Fajitas
by Alex Johnson
Everything in this world has its own history. Similarly, Mexican cuisine has its own deep history. It started from back to 7000 BC when Central America and Mexico has not been settled. People used to hunt animals and eat plants especially wild chilli pepper. These Indigenous people started to eat corn and beans after 5000 years. They always faced problem in getting enough protein. At that time, Spanish people created many various dishes garlic, coriander and cinnamon etc along with different type of meat. Today, Mexican cuisine consist of the mixture of Spanish and indigenous cuisine. It contains chilli pepper, corns, beans and meat etc. Mostly, every Mexican dish contains rice and bunch of traditional spices. Mexican cuisine has its popularity all over the world.
Origination of Fajitas
Fajitas were originated Mexican workers who used to live in Texas in 1930.
History of Fajitas
Fajitas are known as one of the most famous Mexican food. The word ‘fajita’ is derived from Spanish word ‘faja’ which means ‘belt’. Faja refers to the steak meat of cow that is placed beneath lungs. Steak meat was given as a pay to cowboys of Mexico. From this, started recipe of fajitas. An original fajita is sliced steak meat wrapped by tortilla. Fajitas were commercially sold by Sonny Falcon in 1969. By this, fajitas started to gain its popularity especially in Mexican restaurants and also its types are also introduced which contains shrimp fajitas, chicken fajitas and vegetables fajitas etc.
Type of Fajitas
• Lime flank steak fajita
• Chicken fajita with rice
• Cheese fajita
• Pork fajita with coconut rice
• Salmon fajita
• Steak and mango fajita etc
When it comes to Mexican popular dishes shrimp fajitas is always on the top of its list. They are tasty, easy and quick recipe to make also you can add any type of meat in the replacement of shrimp but shrimp is used as a tradition. Shrimps, onions and bell pepper are fried in one pan, coated with fajitas and that’s all. This is a main reason that it is called one pan dish. As we know that shrimps are high protein food, shrimp fajitas are known as a protein and carbohydrates rich food. Shrimp fajitas are served with tortillas traditionally but you can serve it with anything else. If you are looking for delicious and quick shrimp recipe to add in your diet, it’ll be a good dish for you.
Recipe of shrimp fajita
- Shrimp (peeled) = 1 kg
- Onion (sliced) = 1
- Bell peppers (sliced) = 2
- Lemon = 1
- Olive oil = half cup
- Tortillas = 9
- Salt = half teaspoon
- Pepper = half teaspoon
- Paprika = half teaspoon
- Chilli powder = half tablespoon
- Cumin (ground) = half tablespoon
- Garlic (powder) = 1 teaspoon
- Avocado, salsa or cream (for topping)
- Take a bowl and add all spices including salt, paprika, cumin, garlic, pepper and chilli powder etc, and stir.
- Now, take a large bowl and add three tablespoons of olive oil, shrimps and mix of spices from small bowl in it. Mix them all until shrimps are fully coated, set aside.
- Take a skillet and add two tablespoons of olive oil in it and heat on medium flame. After some time, add bell peppers, sauté and onions in it. Cook for 5 minutes and transfer the mixture in a plate.
- Add shrimps in the same skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add onion and bell pepper mixture in the skillet back from plate. Toss them and add lemon juice on top.
- Serve with tortillas and some toppings such as cream.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes/ half hour
Calories: 550 kcal
Protein: 42 grams
Carbohydrates: 45 grams
Fat: 5 grams
Sugar: 7 grams
Fiber: 7 grams
Cholesterol: 450 mg
Potassium: 450 mg
Iron: 8 mg
How to store
You can store them by packing them in an airtight container for 5 days.
How to heat
Just put a bowl of shrimp fajita in microwave and heat for 1 minute.
Shrimp fajitas are serve with
- Red salsa
- Pico de gallo
- Lime crema
- Mexican rice
Important tips for ingredients
- You can use frozen jumbo shrimps instead of fresh shrimps.
- You can use bell pepper of any colour in this dish.
- You can use any type of onion weather it’s red, yellow or white.
发表评论Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!