by Verdzekov Bernard
At times I look at meals in a relation to language. Why do I look at it this way? That is because I think good food of particular cultures and tradition helps to identify people as well as it helps to bring people together. Today, many people set up restaurant businesses around cities and country side. There is usually that urge for delicious meals and when you don’t have the time to prepare good food for yourself you then go to the restaurant. In this restaurant, there are varieties of meals. Meals that didn’t probably originate from that particular country in which the restaurant is set up. Do you want to make money in the restaurant business? apart from the preparation of meals that are verse to the people, add to it strange delicious meals. There is no limit as to the preparation of food. So far as it is what you want to eat, you could go ahead to prepare it. So long as your doctor hasn’t restricted you, or so long as your system doesn’t have issues as to what it takes in, you can go ahead. Be it a Nigerian meal you love or have seen and you love it, go ahead prepare it for yourself or family. Have you seen a South African meal you love, try it out? There are no limits. In Cameroon, there are foreign restaurants owned and controlled by Cameroonians. For example, there are chines, Mexico and Nigerian restaurants in Cameroon. Getting into this restaurant, automatically it will be sure you want to eat a Nigerian, Mexican or chines food. Despite the fact that they may prepare some Cameroonian delicacies at the restaurants, the main meals you will find there are Meals from those set countries.
Today, it is about Mexican cheesy rice. Rice is common, I know that is what you may say, but there is a saying in Cameroon or Africa at large, that “there is rice and there is rice”. This is simply to say, there are delicious rice meals and there are “more” delicious rice. One tasting more than the other. You may have visited a restaurant and you were served Jollof rice. After eating you mark that day as one of the days in your life that you ate the best prepared jollof rice on earth. Still, that is not yet the best. Mexican cheesy rice is a Mexican delicacy that I will love you all try it out. Follow the guide below;
- Red bell pepper
- Chili powder
- 5 cups White rice
- Cheddar cheese(optional) if you have cheddar cheese, use the cheese you got. But follow guide.
- Green spice
- Curry powder
- Salt to taste
- Garlic gloves
- Cumin (3 spoon)
- Diced green chilis (optional)
- Put your rice in a bowl, add fresh clean water to the bowl and wash the rice well.
- Drain the water from the rice and keep aside.
- Peel off the garlics shell and dice well. Slice your onions too and keep aside. Rinse your green spice and tomatoes and keep aside. It is usually good and hygienic to wash the things you buy from the market. Grind your garlics and keep aside.
- In your main cooking pot, put your butter and heat up. When melted, and heated, put in your onions and fry. Add in your garlics and chopped red bell pepper and fry. Add your chili and curry powder and stir well.
- Add your chopped green spice and stir well. Add salt to taste and maggi. Stir well. taste to make sure salt and maggi is ok. Add your rice and stir well. Cover pot for 5min, open and add water. Allow for rice to get ready and the water all dry.
- Turn off heat, add your cheese gently while you stir well. Garnish with some green spice and serve. You may garnish with slices limes and well sliced rings of tomatoes. That is optional.