Kenya – Nyama Choma
by Verdzekov Bernard
There are so many dishes in the world, many we don’t know about. But I will try to bring forth this cuisine for all you readers to know about and how there are prepared. Humans living won’t survive on earth without food. Food is so important in our daily lives. Because of this, we have to know how to prepare so many cuisines to keep a good balance diet. Jesus fast for 40 days are night, but don’t try that at home. Today is about Nyama Choma. This is very delicious dish valued by the Kenya people. Dishes most at times vary according to regions and tribes. And in Africa, there are many tribes living in as one people in a particular country.
- Grill pan
- Table spoon
- Salt to taste
- Goat leg
- Goat ribs
- Prepare your grill pan with charcoal. Make sure the charcoal is hot and ready for roasting.
- Boil water and put in a bowl with salt in it. Make sure it is tasty. Keep aside.
- Make cuts on the goat leg and rib. This is to help make it get ready quick and to enable spices too to penetrate.
- Place your ribs and goat let on the grill. The number of goat legs and ribs depends on you and maybe on the number of persons eating the meal.
- Melt your maggi cubs in a vegetable oil. Don’t melt so much it. Just one or two.
- Sprinkle vegetable oil on the meat while roasting. Make sure you are turning frequently to avoid burns.
- To avoid the use of too much vegetable during roasting, take your bowl of warm water, mixed with salt and sprinkle on the meat. This is to prevent the meat from getting dry from the heat of the charcoal. Once your meat is half done, get a foil paper and put your meat in it sprinkle in oil and wrap well. Put back on the grill and make sure your charcoal is still burning with no flames. This last process should take 45min-1hr for your meat to get ready well.
Normally, in my country, this could be eating just like after it is ready, it well sliced and served with pepper and chopped onions. But in Kenya it is different. This is said to be a meal served on their national day. Added to Nyema Choma is Kachumbari. Never mind, it is not difficult and it is just and accompaniment served with Nyema Choma.
- Simply slice or chop your onions and soak in warm water with a pinch of salt to taste. This should take about 3min.
- Slice your tomatoes and keep too aside. Remove your onions and mix with tomatoes together with some chopped coriander and lastly some squeezed lemon juice.
- Using a different cooking pot, make sure the pot is mediumly big enough to contain the Ugali. Boil your water. Scope about 3 cups of flour and put into a bowl. Add fresh water to the bowl and stir well.
- After you stir well add the mixed flour into the boiling water. Stir well and make sure you don’t have any lumps. Cover pot and allow for about 15min.
- Scope another cup of flour. This is to be used when your content in the pot has boiled well. make sure you do your stirring with a wooden spoon. Add the powder flour into the pot and stir well. stir until it solidifies. Add warm water if too dry or thick. Mix well using the wooden spoon.
- To do this well, put your pot down from the gas or three stone fire side and mix well using your wooden spoon. This will help remove destroy lumps and make your Ugali smooth.
- Mold and serve with your Nyama choma and Kachumbari.
发表评论Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!