by Umer Butt
ABOUT THE DISH
Italy is famous for its various types of cuisines. From the sweet to the savory ones this country has it all. The dish which I am about to write about is one of the best dishes of the Tuscan cuisine not just because of its flavor but also because of its rich history. Bistecca Alla Fiorentina is a special Tuscan T- bone steak whose meat is gathered from a special breed of cow known as Chianina cow. This steak is very easy to prepare as beforehand it is seasoned with garlic powder , salt . some other spices and lastly some rosemary is sprinkled over it. Then this steak is cooked over a grill to give both of its sides some beautiful grill marks. This steak can be served with a side sauce which is a common thing in restaurants. The beauty of this steak is its appearance as it attracts people towards it. It is served in all of Italy and many of the restaurants consider themselves to be the best at making it. It is a totally tasty dish to eat with family and friends over. It is more like a celebratory dish as it has a quite bit of history behind it.
The first Bistecca steak was made in the year 1565 during the celebrations in the honor of San Lorenzo at the time of the Medici. This celebration took place on the 10th of august in which the whole city came to celebrate the saints. During the celebration the lords offered the people large amounts of meat which was then grilled and cooked and was eaten by everyone. This was the start of this incredible steak. On the occasion of the Festa di San Lorenzo the whole city used to be lit up with fires and bonfires and the people used them as a source of cooking the meat. It is said that at the times of the Medici Florence was a crossroad which meant that it was a common place for the travelers to visit and they would also enjoy this night and feast. Along with them it is said that some English knights came as guests of the saints and they loved this food. They used to shout to bring more steak and more were served to them. This was a start which brought this steak to the English region and they inherited this afterwards.
ORIGIN OF THE NAME
As mentioned above the British knights were very fond of this steak once they ate and enjoyed its flavor so they demanded more by shouting in their own language “Beef steak! Beef steak ! ” due to which the Italians immediately named this steak Bistecca.
INGREDIENTS REQUIRED TO MAKE IT
- Porter house steak 2 ½ pound
- Olive oil 2 tbsp.
- Onion powder 2 tsp.
- Garlic powder 2 tsp.
- Salt 1 tbsp.
- Pepper 1 tsp.
- Unsalted butter 3 tbsp.
STEPS TO MAKE THIS STEAK
- Firstly we will prepare the seasoning for this dish.
- Take a small bowl and add some onion powder, garlic powder , salt and pepper in it.
- Mix them nicely and your seasoning is ready.
- Take your steak and brush olive oil on both of its sides gently.
- After this take your seasoning and sprinkle over the steak.
- Make sure to cover both of its sides.
- Once done turn on your grill at high heat and place your steak on it.
- Give 5 minutes to each side to have those grill marks.
- While the steak is cooking take rosemary and dip it into some unsalted butter.
- Now take this rosemary and brush it on the steak to release some of its flavor to the steak along with the butter.
- Make sure the steak is cooked on each side.
- Take it off the grill and serve it with a sauce.
- Your dish is ready.
TIME NEEDED TO MAKE IT
- PREPERATION TIME : 5 minutes
- COOKING TIME : 15 minutes
- TOTAL TIME : 20 minutes
- YIELDS : 3-4 servings
- Calories 1.7kcal
- Total Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0.07mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1g
- Protein 0.3g
- Sodium 1.2mg
- Calcium 2mg
Fiorentina steak is one of the best steaks in the world in terms of flavor and also the outcome after cooking it. Its rich history enables the people of Italy to make it better every time they make because it is their cultural dish and means something to them. This dish is awesome and a great afternoon meal. A steak dipped in some sauce is an incredible feeling and a one which everyone should try and experience.