Filipino – Chicken Inasal
by Hina Alam
ABOUT THE DISH
Chicken Inasal is an Philippine BBQ dish which is known to be the heart of the local cuisines. It is basically chicken which is marinated beforehand with soy sauce, calamansi, vinegar and other herbs and spices and it is then finished off by cooking it on a BBQ grill. To make the color on the chicken golden it is coated with Anato chicken oil beforehand. It is one the greatest street food dishes out there. It is an absolute favorite dish of the children in Philippines and due to its simplicity and incredible vibrant flavor it deserves all the credit. It is served with a dipping sauce and some rice alongside with it which adds more flavor to the already great dish. It is best to eat it with your bare hands and the pure satisfaction hits when the chicken breaks into your hand.
Chicken Inasal is one of the most popular dishes in all of Philippines. It was first made in a city called Bacolod which is located in the south of Philippines. Bacolod was always famous for its local dishes but once Inasal came into existence it is the only talk of the town there. There are whole streets there which are dedicated to local foods and among these local foods chicken Inasal is at the top of the list. Everyday countless people visit these streets to have a good time and eat this amazing dish. In Bacolod there are many restaurants which sell this dish and recommends to every foreigner to come try it.
MEANING OF NAME
Inasal is a Visayan term which means Grilled Meat. It was given this name because the chicken is grilled in the end in this dish.
SPECIAL UTENSILS REQUIRED
- BBQ GRILL
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE MARINATION SAUCE
- Soy sauce
- Vinegar ¼ cup
- Garlic 2tbs (minced)
- Water 1 cup
- Lemongrass ½ cup
- Brown sugar 1/4 cup
- Salt 1 tablespoon
- Black pepper 1 tsp
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR ANATO OIL
- Chicken Fats
- Anato Seeds 2 tsp
- Vegetable Oil 1/4 cup
STEPS TO MAKE MARINATION SAUCE
- The first thing to do is to make the marination sauce which is done by taking a bowl first and adding soya sauce and vinegar in it.
- Then add some water, lemongrass, brown sugar in the bowl and mix.
- Add ginger , garlic , onion and calamansi juice in the bowl and stir.
- Finally add some salt and pepper and place your chicken pieces inside the bowl.
- Cover the chicken with the sauce and then cover the whole bowl with plastic and set it aside for at least 1 hour to marinate.
STEPS TO MAKE ANATO OIL
- While the chicken is being marinated we will make the Anato oil which will be brushed on the chicken to give it golden color.
- To make it first take a pot and add oil in it and let it heat.
- Add the chicken fat in the pot and cook until it reaches an golden color and has dispersed oil in the pot.
- Once this is done take out the chicken fat and add the Anato powder in the pot with remaining chicken oil.
- Mix it all up then you will have the Anato oil ready.
STEPS TO COOK CHICKEN
- In order to cook the chicken you will need to set up your BBQ grill.
- Burn up the coals and let the grill heat.
- Take out your chicken from the marination bowl and one by one brush it with the Anato oil.
- Once brushed place it on the grill and cook until golden brown color is achieved.
- Serve the chicken with some rice and a dipping sauce .
- Your dish is ready enjoy.
TIME NEEDED TO MAKE THIS DISH
- PREPERATION TIME : 1 hour
- COOKING TIME : 20 minutes
- TOTAL TIME : 1 hour 25 minutes
- Heart Healthy
- Low Carbohydrate
- Calories 219
- Fat 11g
- Cholesterol 93mg
- Sodium 287mg
- Carbohydrates 5.2g
- Protein 22g
- Sugars 4g
- Potassium 284mg
When I visited Philippines everyone there suggested me this dish and I was like I had to try this. So when I went to Bacolod this dish was almost everywhere and when I finally tasted it then it hit me hard that why it is popular. It is a dish full of love and taste and it can be easily be made at home. So my recommendation to everyone is to try this dish and experience the true flavors of the Philippines cuisine.
发表评论Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!