Cameroon – Cornchaff
by Haman Kingah
Corn and beans are one of the most used seeds, widely grown crops and one of the most eating seeds in Africa. This seed/s could be planted and could still be cooked.
Corn and beans has a good historical background traced from about 8000Bc. Corn Is said to have been refereed to as the Indian corn because of its structure in the United States and Great Britain. It belongs to the family grasses, that today produces one of the most widely distributed food plant in the world. Maize cultivation and processing is said to be pushed by the production of food for humans and livestock.
For beans, beans has a broad variety, soybeans, peas, chickpeas, vetches, lupins, Cajanus, Mucuna all found under the leguminous family. They are said to have been used as means of sacrifice back in the ancient time to apiece the gods and to plead for good harvest too. The time for planting beans following the ancient style in some part of the world due to change in climate, is between spring and end of summer. It is a climbing plant, so it is advisable to put sticks after planting to ease their growth. Beans seeds are said to be dated about 9000yrs and is said to have been found but in Thailand. Till today, we still eat it.
Normally to prepare this particular cuisine, you will need to prep for about 30min, then using about 1:30min for cooking process to come to an end. That is normal when preparing cornchaff. This is a mixture of beans and corn never forget that. Removing the pot from the fire when it is not yet ready, is terrible thing or accident you shouldn’t do. This is because after you realize that it is not ready, taking the pot to fire again could spoil the entire dish, so be very accurate with your time. It will be better to overcook beans than to eat half done beans. It will make your stomach messy. When you wash the beans, make sure you throw the water far away from your house. The water smells. Same thing you should do after bringing the mixture to a half-done stage. Throw the water very far or burry it. Lol. Make sure you steep your beans overnight so as to reduce your cooking time and too to reduce the consumption of fuel wood or gas. To continue cooking process, please follow guide below;
- Grind crayfish
- Palm oil
- Salt to taste
- Peel your corn and steep in water.
- Select your beans and steep in water also. The both buckets should have the water way above the beans or corn. Do this overnight, preparing to prepare the beans the next day. This is to limit fuel or gas consumption.
- The next day, remove your beans and boil for about 30-45min. prepare your spices, chop your onions, peel and grind garlics and ginger, keep aside.
- Wash your canda/caw-skin, slice into small eatable slices, boil for about 35-40min with salt to taste. Make sure you chop the caw-skin really small. No need for holding it with your hands when eating. A spoon could scope about 1 or 2 into your mouth. That perfect.
- Remove your beans, wash well with fresh water, rinse and put in your pot. make sure you throw the water very far. That is the beans water. After doing that, put all your spices in the pot, including your blend pepper.
- Turn in your palm oil, making sure you do the measurement well. After doing that close your pot and turn on heat. Allow the pot for about 15-20, that will make the oil to drain down the pot.
- Open your pot and mix well. Add your salt and maggi to taste, add your cray fish and boiled caw-skin. Close pot and allow for 15-20min. Open pot, add about half cup of water, check for seasoning, close pot for another 25-30, remove and serve…
发表评论Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!