by Dahiza Umar
”PULAO” or Pilaf is a rice dish, usually cooked by adding main and basic spices, some traditional whole pakistani spices and main ingredients as vegetables or meat. The stew of vegetable or meat is comes out when cooked with spices and than rice is added in the stock or broth of the vegetables or meat to cooked the aromatic rice with any vegetables or meat.
The pulao is a dish usually known by its brown colored rice because of the frying of some spices and brown onion give it like golden color to the rice, the seasoning of the rice by whole spices also give aroma and color to the rice pulao is cooked with broth or stew or stock of the main ingredient used like some vegetables or meat of the choice.The pulao here in Pakistan usually made of meat like chicken pulao, beef pulao, although this dish as vegetarian version too like peas pulao, potato pulao, mix vegetable pulao.
Matar pulao is a dish prepared often in Punjabi families. The main ingredients of the dish is matar that is known as Peas in other way. This is vegetarian rice recipe when peas is added to the rice with special spices and cooked the aromatic, flavorful rice to go. In Pakistan, potatoes are also added in peas pulao than it called as aloo matar pulao (potato peas)
Aromatic rice dish cooked with peas with traditional whole spices and basic ingredients can be served with any spicy curry, yogurt or raita with mint chutney is like heaven on the earth in the form of food loved by everyone. As Pakistani all are rice lover this dish rejoice the tasty and aromatic dish of peas and rice.
Pulao is a dish of Indian subcontinent when all three regions live together Pakistan, India and bangladesh. There is no other history of the dish but its origin is from Indian subcontinent, and than it is cooked till now in all region as a national cuisine
- 1 kilogram Rice
- 1/2 kilogram fresh peas
- 2 onions slices
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 tbsp ginger paste
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 to 5 green chilies
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 cinamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 5 black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp mace
- Take a pot, wash and soak the rice into water for half hour
- Take a cooking pot and add oil into it, when oil is heat up add slices onions into it and sauted until browned.
- Than add garlic ginger paste in the onion with slices tomatoes.
- Add 1 cup of water to the onion mixture with all the dry spices and peas in it.
- Cover the mixture for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Check if peas are cooked now high up the flame and saute the peas with onion mixture until the assembles mixture is ready.
- Now add 1 litre of water according to the 1 kg rice and bring it a boil, than add soaked rice
- when the moisture is almost dried out keep the rice on slow heat with covered the lid.
- After 15 minutes. rice dish is ready to served.
- Enjoy it with raita and salad
CUISINE : ASIAN, PAKISTANI
COURSE : SIDE RICE DISH
SERVINGS : 4 TO 6 PERSON
PREPARATION TIME : 10 MINUTES
COOKING TIME : 30 MINUTES
CALORIES : 200 PER SERVING