by Zayna Khan
This dish is very popular Japanese dish having rice and beef thick sauce or stew/ gravy. In Japanese cuisine, YOSOKU is the term used in dishes of Japan which is mixed with Western style induced cooking. It is said that Japanese style western dishes. The main thing in Japanese cuisine is the use of soya sauce and sometimes sake.
There are two main dishes of Japan served together in a plat:
- Thick glazed beef curry stew
- Steamed white Rice
This dish is also named as HASHED BEEF RICE and in Japan, HAYASHI BEEF RICE.
Serving of the dish is a Rice full of plate and topped with this thick beef sauce. Or sometimes, one side of plate is filled with rice and by side beef stew is served. You can garnished it fresh cilantro and some greens like mint, coriander and green chilies. Cream is also garnished in the top of beef glazed sauce so give some good vibes about the dish.
Sometimes in Japan, ROUX BOXES are served with is the same dish but in those boxes rice and gravy is tossed together. In Japan, cooked cane of this beef glaze is sold and than you just need to steam rice and serve this cane sauce with it.
Yoshoku is actually a Japanese version of western style food. This is originated from the MEJI EMPEROR. It is the example of FUSION CUISINE. MEJI EMPREOR is restoration of Japanese empire.
This dish has beef slices in the sauce but there is also a dish in which whole beef piece is served in the gravy and served with rice known as KOBE BEEF.
HAYASHI is a word given by Yuteki hayashi.
HASHED BEEF is the word that means meat pieces and its a dish in western cuisine.
DEMI GLAZED SAUCE IN BEEF is the French technique infused with Japanese cuisine and come up like this beautiful glaze.
This dish resembled to the Japanese curry but having some more different and authentic flavours. Although this is a dish of western style but flavours are from purely Japanese kitchen.
There are many other vegetables can be used in this simple beef glaze like one of the favourite is Mushrooms also with some Onions.
Main Ingredients of this dish which inspired the Japanese is Red wine. Tomato sauce and red wine combine with spices and beef pieces.
INGREDIENTS OF MAKING KAYASHI BEEF RICE
MAIN INGREDIENTS OF BEEF GLAZE
Demi glaze sauce
- 1/2 Chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 2 teaspoons white flour
- 1/2 teaspoons rock salt
- 1/2 tea spoons kosher salt
- 5 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 lbs Beef slices
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 cup Demi sauce ( prepared freshly )
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 to 7 black pepper cones.
- 1/2 cup soya sauce
METHOD OF COOKING OF HAYASHI BEEF SAUCE :
- Take a large pan in which demi sauce or glaze would be prepared.
- Take butter and add chopped onions into it while they are getting translucent, add flour and mix quickly.
- Mixing the flour quickly so no lumps will be formed and sauce would be smooth and silky in texture.
- Add red wine with tomato sauce and all the seasoning.
- Now cook it on low flame until it get thick enough like a glaze but smooth in texture.
- Cool it down and move towards next step.
Hayashi beef glaze
- Place beef pieces in a bowl to marinate with red wine, soya sauce, salt and pepper.
- Now in a cooking pan add oil and fry mushroom with onions into it. After 10 minutes frying on medium flame add marinated beef and fry all things together.
- Juices of beef come out from the meat and the cooking process started.
- Cook beef on low heat in its own juices until it gets soft and tender.
- Now add soya sauce, red wine, tomato ketchup, tomato puree and prepared demi sauce.
- Add all the seasonings and cook it for 20 minutes.
- Meat is soft enough at the end of the cooking to serve with rice.
STEAMED RICE INGREDIENTS
- 2 Cups white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- Take steamer and pre heat it.
- In a steamer add rice with salt and water. Cook it for 20 minutes.
- Our steamed rice is ready to served with Hayashi beef sauce.
GARNISHING OF THE DISH
To garnish this dish with :
- Cilantro on the top of gravy.
- Cream is garnished in a beautiful way on the gravy to look rich and beautiful.
- Rice is either served at the bottom of the plate and topped with beef gravy.
- Or rice is served at the side of the plate and beef curry is served on the other side of the plate.