by Tanomba Thati
Tanzania is a country located in the eastern part of African continent. It’s a well known country for the welcoming polite people, safeness and natural loving people. Many visits it for tourism in culture outlook, wild animal parks and business projects. Tanzania is bordered with Indian ocean to it’s east, Kenya and Uganda to the north, Burundi, Rwanda and Congo to the west and Mozambique to the south.
Tribes dealing with fishing activities are found near the lakes, rivers and oceans, they include Jita and Kerewe tribes from north Tanzania around lake Victoria, Ha tribe in the west part covers lake Tanganyika, Nyamwezi tribe in the east part of the Indian ocean coasts. Most people prepares Vibambara
Vibambara are sliced fish to make nealy equal two parts, smoke them to dry and store for a longer period of time.
Vibambara stew is normally prepared as smoked fish and yams, some one cooks Vibambara aside and yams aside, then serve them mix at the table.
Our cuisine will focus on the cooking style by mixing both yams and fish at the same time. This is the most traditional way of cooking Vibambara from the fishing tribes found in Tanzania.
Well let’s get started.
Prepare the following ingredients
- 2 smoked fishes (4 pieces)
- 3 big yams
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 big onions
- 4 carrots
Traditional way of cooking doesn’t require a lot of ingredients.
- Peel yams and cut into cubes.
- Chop onions, carrots and tomatoes and set aside.
- Boil water and use it to wash smoked fish. You may soak it for 5 minutes before you wash the fish.
- once cleaned, piece it small.
- In a pot add yams, followed by fish pieces, then tomatoes, carrots and onions. Add water to nearly cover ingredients, followed by salt and oil.
- Set the pot over heat and cook for about 30 to 40 minutes. Have a watch over water dry, check for readiness by piecing yams by hook or knife.
- Enjoy the meal with family and friends, too delicious.