Somalia – Maraq Digaag
by Tanomba Thati
Maraq Digaag is a cuisine of chicken soup from Somalia. This cuisine prepares chicken to a longer boiling time with spices, that mixes well with the meat and soup, resulting into a great and sweet taste. Maraq has other different types although chicken may be the most cooked among the others, probably due to the cost, number of consumers and taste.
The other known Maraq types are of lamb or camel meet.
It is prepared mostly on special occasions or celebrations , when a group of people are in need for Maraq or when a family is grouped fro some away time.
This recipe will cook chicken meat up to the point that chicken meat is nearly to fall from bones, welcome and get ready.
- 4 Chicken thighs
- Grinned garlic (1 teaspoon).
- 2 carrot
- 2 Peeled potatoes (cut half)
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of ginger
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tomato (not necessary)
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper powder
- Crushed cumin seeds
- Clean chicken meat and put into a cooking pan, add in water to cover the meat, add salt and lemon then boil. (about 30 minutes)
- Open pan cover and remove the smokey foam on top of the soup, bring to boil for 15 minutes more and simmer.
- Add in the pot carrots, peel and chop them if your favored, you may put it without chopping.
- Add in the same pot garlic, cumin seeds (1 tea spoon), tomato, potatoes, vinegar, pepper powder and ginger. Bring to boil for 30-40 minutes. Notice meat tenderness.
Our cuisine is ready, serve it warm with bread as usual or any other favor dish. Enjoy the taste.
发表评论Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!