Somali – Cambuulo Iyo Maraq
by Tanomba Thati
Cambuulo Iyo Maraq is a cuisine from Somali with rice mixed with adzuki beans and a top up of tomato soup (maraq). Somalia is a country found in the eastern part of African continent bounded by the Gulf of Aden to the north, Indian Ocean to the east and Ethiopia to the west.
Although is easy to prepare Cambuulo Iyo Maraq, still the meal takes some time to cook especially with adzuki beans. Traditionally adzuki beans were the only beans to be used with this cuisine, but as days goes by, new types of beans were introduced and counted as a part of Cambuulo Iyo Maraq cuisine.
Cambuulo Iyo Maraq of rice and yellow beans is the second type of beans to be consumed along as a Cambuulo Iyo Maraq style after adzuki beans.
Cooking of beans were taken for a whole day and night soaking process, therefore the Cambuulo Iyo Maraq cuisine took a longer in preparation and could be prepared only on a special day.
Despite the challenge for adzuki beans scarce, people uses any kind of beans to prepare their meal. Starting from yellow, green, white and so on both of the types can be used.
The beans are soaked and then cooked before they are cooked along with rice in the final steps. Then after follows the sauce preparation which is also a pie, just mixing all the veggies and cook with some seasonings to give a great taste of the cuisine.
Let us get it prepared, welcome.
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 cup adzuki beans or any kind of beans
- 1 tbsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp ground cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ground chilli powder
- 300g can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp white vinegar or any favored
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 large onion
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- Juice of one lemon
- Soak beans overnight to sooth the hardness. Boil for about 20-30 minutes (for adzuki beans), it may take longer depending on the type of beans used.
- Chop up onions and mince the garlic.
- Cook rice with water and a little amount of salt. Cooking rice with boiling water may take about 15 minutes so keep an eye from rice burning.
- Once rice is ready, mix it up with dry beans. (beans from soup).
- While the rice is settling well, take another pan and start to fry the onions using sesame oil until they become translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook. Add tomatoes starting with diced tomatoes to cumin, coriander and chilies, cook for 5 minutes less.
- Add water for soup and keep cook until a thick soup is attained.
- Add the lemon juice and vinegar, set low heat and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Once the soup is ready, serve it over the Cambuulo Iyo Maraq cuisine.
Enjoy with family and friends.
发表评论Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!