Morocco – Msemen
by Y Shomwi
Flatbread from the mix of flour, semolina, sugar, salt, yeast, oil, and butter will blow your buds when taste along with honey. Msemen is an Moroccan cuisine often taken as breakfast and sometimes for supper. It may be eaten along with meat or vegetable recipes or can be taken on it’s own.
It originates from Eastern and Northern places within the country, although it’s famous around Tunisia. Processing and cooking procedures are the ones to explain the real differences.
Other preparation of Msemen includes vegetables along the preparation (mixing) process, flatten and cooked or fried on grill or flat pan respectively.
This is normally served soon after cooked because of the veggies mixed in, they taste better while warm. You may prepare this Msemen style by following today tutors for Msemen, guess what, just add up some chopped veggies.
It is a taste that differentiate a round Msemen from normal flat bread, that’s why most of Msemen are prepared in a box shaped.
We will prepare the box shaped Msemen, get prepared right on your kitchen. We will discuss things to be prepared, followed by the cooking procedures, follow them kindly. Welcome.
- 3 cups white flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon dry yeast
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fine semolina
- 2 cups of vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup soft unsalted butter
- Mix all dry ingredients into a big bowl, add water to form a dough that is smooth but not sticky. You may need to adjust flour or water to attain the perfect texture.
- From the big dough, punch off small round balls and place into a clean plate surfaced with oil. Cover top and wait for about 15 minutes.
- While the balls are kept for some time, prepare a wide table on which oiling the balls to flatten shape for frying will take place.
- Oil the preparatory surface and your hands.
- Take a ball and gently spread the dough into a paper-thin, roughly shaped circle. Wrap butter dots over the dough surface and sprinkle with semolina.
- Bend to third from one side of the dough, do the same to the opposite side so that resulted shape is square. Put into a bigger plain oiled surface, using a square cutter, place on top of the folded dough and pat it. Do the same to all dough balls.
- Fry the dough one by one, keep all sides cooked until crispy texture and golden color observed, transfer to a pot. Repeat the same to the other folds.
- Serve msemen warm for better taste. You may cool them and refrigerate for days.
Once one wants to reheat Msemen from fridge, rack with preheated 350° F (180° C) oven or heat with frying pan under medium or low heat. Enjoy Msemen from Morocco with;
发表评论Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!