by Tanomba Thati
Nthochi is a Bread made with mashed ripe Bananas at large. Mulanje and Kaluma are the most yielded bananas’ types in the areas of Tondama, Zambia, Nakauka, Khazanga and Wamng’ono in Malawi.
These types of Banana are largely cultivates in the northern areas and southern areas as well.
These type of Banana are widely used to do more that just baking. They are a source of fruits, traditional beer and bites when fried ripe. Some villagers use this as a side mix for traditional medicines and cures.
With it’s brownish color, Nthochi own the main ingredient, which is Banana and flavor it with eggs, butter and others to enhance it’s relative taste and smell.
Experience Nthochi once you visit Malawi, in the restaurants and fast food points. The bread also is sold in the markets as packed in yellow papers, that you may consume along the journey. You may also found it at homes as they are bakes even at home-kitchens.
This is how we can get the quality of our taste out from your own kitchen, welcome.
- Sugar 1 cup
- 2 Eggs
- Flour 2 cups
- Baking powder 2 tea spoons
- Banana 1/2 kg
- Milk 1 cup
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Butter 1/2 a cup
- Oil up the loaf pan well.
- Preheat oven to about 325 degrees F. It is more better to be accurate with the degrees, so that you may bake the better Nthochi.
- Break eggs into a cup, then mix sugar and butter well in a bowl.
- Mix the eggs into the bowl containing sugar and butter.
- Mash bananas and mix along in the bowl, stir well.
- Add in flour,baking powder, salt and milk and then stir well.
- Pour into the loaf pan to bake it, make sure it’s not overfull the pan.
- Bake for about 45-60 minutes in the oven. Consider the degrees.
- After the baking time, serve the bread while cool in slices.
Nthochi will be taken as breakfast with milk, coffee, tea or a soup, you may take it either from your own choice.