by Bob Huyu
Benin is a country in African continent and it is bordered by Togo to the west, Nigeria to the east and Burkina Faso to the north-west. It is known for traditional dishes prepared from grains especially maize or corn.
Akpan is a cuisine from Benin and it is widely prepared from the western countries in the African continent. It is mainly prepared from fermented cereals mostly from maize. The cereal is soaked for about three days before the husks removal action takes place. It is then cooked with water until thickens to form Akpan, a thick dough to be consumed with meat or fish roast, as many prefers the Yebessessi.
Following these recipe, anyone can cook Akpan, welcome to the cuisine.
Prepare the followings
- 1 cup fermented cornflour
- 4 cups of cold water
- 1 potato
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 onion
- Boil up 3 cups of water in a medium heat.
- Mic cornflour with 1 cup of water remained.
- Pour the mix in the boiling water.
- Cook while stirring and mixing until water dries and a thick Akpan forms.
- Our cuisine is well cooked, enjoy it with Yebessessi.
Yebessessi preparation is as follows;
- Wash well tomatoes and chop together with onions.
- Peel potato and cut into small pieces.
- Cook potato with tomatoes in a pan for 5-7 minutes, add salt and oil on top.
- Take off heat and cool, then blend with a food processor.
- Warm if possible, serve on plate and top up with fish and raw onions.
- Enjoy the meal.