Vietnam – Banh Xeo
by Fauzan Anandika
Eating crepes in a break is so relaxing. Thin layer pancake serves with various toppings. There are two types of crepe toppings, sweet or savory. Crepes have become popular in many countries, in France and Belgium there is an event called “The Day of the Crepes”. People in France believe if they can catch the crepes with a frying pan in the right hand while holding a gold coin in the left hand after tossing it in the air would cost them to become rich that year.
Crepes also become a traditional culinary in Asia. In Vietnam, there is a dish that uses a crispy-thin pancake as an ingredient called Banh Xeo. Food loved by all ages, children, and adults in Vietnam enjoy eating Banh Xeo. A savory type crepe fills with oyster, minced beef, seafood, mushroom, or any protein you like. Banh Xeo is also topped with various vegetables and spices like lettuce, onions, mayonnaise, and chili sauce. All this ingredient makes Banh Xeo have fresh, crispy, and salty all in one bite.
Banh Xeo is popular street food from Southern Vietnam. The name refers to the sound of butter hit a hot skillet when cooking crepe, served with nuoc cham dipping sauce. It can serve as a meal or a side dish since it has complete nutrition. It contains protein from meat, carbohydrate from the crepe, vitamins, fiber, and minerals from other fresh ingredients.
Making Banh Xeo is not too hard. Perhaps you need pan flipping skills to flip Banh Xeo and land it on the floor instead of on the floor. Overall it still easy to cook it anyway. Before start cooking, make sure all the ingredients are ready to keep the taste.
Grab your cookware and start making Banh Xeo.
- 200-gram sukiyaki beef
- 200-gram peeled shrimp
- 200-gram bean sprouts
- 100-gram button mushroom, thin sliced
- 75 ml of vegetable oil
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 2 red chilies, thin sliced
- 1 onion, thin sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 320 ml of water
- 250-gram rice flour
- 180 ml thick coconut milk
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Mint leaves
- Curly lettuce
- Nouc cham sauce
Crepe dough preparation
- Mix all crepe ingredients until finely blended.
- Put on a big bowl.
- Prepare 25 cm flat frying pan, heat cooking oil with medium fire.
- Add garlic and onion, cook it until the onion becomes transparent.
- Add chili, beef, shrimp, salt, and mushroom stir until well cooked, set aside.
How to cook
- Add one teaspoon of vegetable oil to the flat frying pan.
- Pour the crepe dough, flatten it.
- Add all the filling, wait until well cooked
- Fold into a triangle shape.
- Banh Xeo ready to be served.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!