United Kingdom, England – Traditional Special Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherd’s pie is the most common and popular dish in the United Kingdom. The word shepherd means the meat of lamb or goat. The other name of this dish is cottage pie. This dish is a mixture of Mutton mince and mashed potatoes. These two are the main components of Shepherd’s Pie. It is easily available at the market or any restaurant. The procedure of the dish is baking it at oven set the 2 layers of this dish in an oven-serving baking tray the one is a mutton minced mixture and the other is Mashed potatoes and cheese combination and then bake it at 180 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. The combination of these 2 thick layers is made and a very delightful, tasty, and mouthwatering meat pie. The recipe of shepherd’s pie varies rapidly and widely and this makes changes its taste and it becomes very tasteful and delightful. The fragrance and aroma of this dish are like Pizza and this is mouthwatering. This dish is inexpensive and very cheap in rate so any middle-class level people enjoy this delightful meal. The nutritional value of this dish is very amazing because of the mutton mince. Now you can make it in a very easy way at your own home by following these rules and cooking steps.
Origin and history
The dish Shepherd’s pie is actually originated from Scotland which is the northern part of England and then it becomes a part of the United Kingdom. It is firstly made by the British housewife and further, it is famous and become popular day-by-day. When it is first made, it is about the 18th century. The final version of this dish came in the 19th century and it’s roundabout 1921.
There are many different verities in it, but the final version of this dish has come and makes it much tastier than the older one. The cottage pie will use to represent this dish and make it tasty. So let’s try this recipe by following the steps of cooking and make it at your own home even you are a man.
- (Onion) 2 medium
- (Carrot) 1 medium
- Cooking oil 2 tbs
- (Mince) Lamb/Mutton ½ kg
- (Garlic) cloves 3-4
- Dried thyme ½ tsp
- (Red chili powder) 1 tsp or to taste
- (Salt) ½ tsp or to taste
- Soy sauce 1 tbs
- Fresh parsley chopped 1 tbs
- Tomato paste 2 tbs
- (Black pepper) crushed 1 tsp
- (Carrot) 1 medium
- (Peas) ¼ Cup
- (All-purpose flour) 2 tbs
- (Stock) 1 cup or as required
- (Potatoes) peeled & boiled 750 gms
- Cheddar cheese ½ Cup
- (Black pepper) crushed 1 tsp
- (Salt) 1 tsp or to taste
- (Egg yolks) 2
- (Lukewarm milk) ½ Cup
- Cheddar cheese grated ¼ Cup or as required
- Mozzarella cheese grated ¼ Cup or as required
- (Red chili) crushed
- In the first step, we take an onion and carrot and chopped them into small pieces, and set them aside.
- Then take the pan and 2 tsp cooking oil and add chopped onions.
- Then sauté until it’s translucent at low flame.
- After this add mutton mince in it, and then mix it well until it turns the color changes.
- Then add chopped garlic cloves into the pan and mix it well at the medium-low flame.
- Continuously cook on the medium-low flame then add dried thyme, red chili powder, salt to taste, soy sauce, and fresh chopped green parsley into the pan and mix it well, and continuously cook on low flame for approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
- After this add tomato paste and crushed black pepper in it and mix it well.
- Then add reserve chopped carrots, peas and again mix it well.
- Now add all-purpose flour and 1 cup yakhni (stalk) into it and mix it well.
- For better cooking keep stirring and cooking or cook for 8 to 10 minutes approximately and set it aside.
Cooking steps for Mashed Potatoes
- First, take a bowl and peeled and boiled potatoes then mash them into the bowl.
- After this take a cheddar cheese and also mash it into the bowl.
- Then add crushed black pepper, salt to taste, 2 egg yolks, half a cup of lukewarm milk into the bowl, and mixed it really well until it is combined and set aside.
- Your mashed potato mixture is all about to ready, now set it aside.
Steps for baking
- You can bake it on wok but for better result take an oven-serving baking tray and add reserved mince mixture in it.
- After this add a layer of mashed potatoes onto the mice and plane the surface of it.
- You can add extra cheddar cheese (grated) and mozzarella cheese (grated) as required, crushed red chili onto the mash potato mixture.
- Now you can bake it in a preheated oven at almost 180 degrees temperature for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
- After complete the baking your Shepherd’s pie is about ready to eat.
- You can serve it to your families and your loved ones.
- Enjoy the meal.
- Calories: 652 kcal
- Cholesterol: 174mg and 58%
- Fats: 40g and 62%
- Preparation Time: 35 to 40 minutes
- Baking Time: 30 to 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 and ½ hours required
- Serving: 3 to 4 Persons
- Origin: British Cuisine
- Cuisine: England, Scotland
- Taste: Cheesy and Salty.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!