United Arab Emirates – Tharid / Thereed
by Adelina Aida
This is the special dish from the cuisine of Arabs. It is included in the Emirati cuisine, like Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah etc. This dish is actually a bowl having bread loafs slices or cut pieces with some sautéed vegetables and any meat broth with specific seasonings. Some kinds of beans are also added to enhance the taste like chickpea, small peas, green peas, kidney beans etc. This dish is full pack meal including all the food types like vegetables, meat, bread, beans as per healthy body requirement. This is also cooked and served in country like Iran, Saudi Arabia etc.
This dish is famous in the month of Holy Ramzan. Because after whole day fasting, body required full nutrients and a healthy meal to compensate the body needs. This dish has all the required elements to fulfil the body’s need and maintain the health.
It is said that this dish is very authentic and from the back of the time, because this specific dish is mentioned in the Hadith of the specific Islamic sayings.
AS SAID IN HADITH:
Tharid was the best among all dishes, and that it was superior to other dishes in the way that Hazrat Aisha ( R.A ) was superior to other women.
This dish has many other version from different countries with some evolution according to the taste and with some more specific ingredients of their countries. Like in Syria, FATEEH is made from roasted meat broth with bread and yogurt.
Emirati cuisine is local cuisine of United Arab Emirates. It has almost same dishes like from the cuisine of Saudi Arab, Iraq, Oman etc. The use of the meat, milk, dates, cheese and the food with rich nutrients. Use of the spices like Turmeric, Saffron, cardamom, black olives etc are common. There are many dishes even almost all dishes have meat in it. Many dishes from Emirati cuisine has evolved and included in many other national dishes like Shawarma, hummus, Tabbouleh, harees etc.
DUBAI FOOD FESTIVAL
In Dubai food festival, huge varieties of dishes are served and most famous among them is this ”THARID”. Sometimes, Bread which is served with this dish is dipped into the bowl of broth. And sometimes, it is served by the side of the bowl on plate.
Emirati food has dishes are so popular among the meat dishes. We can use meat of chicken, goat, lamb, cow, buffalo, camels, even birds and fish.
Tharid is a meat broth of like chicken, mutton, birds and even fish. In which Vegetables like carrot, potatoes, broccoli is added and served with Raqaq bread.
Ragag means ”thin”, so it is actually a bread from Emirati cuisine. Made up from wheat flour, salt, yeast and served by adding butter to it.
COURSE : MAIN / SIDE DISH
TYPE : STEW
CUISINE : EMIRATI / MIDDLE EAST
TIME REQUIRED : 30 MINUTES
SERVING : 5 PEOPLE
TEMPERATURE : HOT SERVED
INGREDIENTS OF MAKING THARID/ THEREED
- 1/2 kilogram mutton
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup small chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup onions chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes cut into 4
- 3 to 4 large potatoes cut into 4
- 1 cup baby corns
- 2 to 3 cardamom
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoon mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds
INSTRUCTIONS OF MAKING DISH
- Take butter in a pan and add meat pieces into it and make it brown from the outside.
- Once colour started appearing, add onions and tomatoes with 3 glass of water.
- Make it boil, add salt, pepper, turmeric, paprika and let the meat tender.
- After 15 minutes, when meat is about to cook add all vegetables like carrot, potatoes, corn and let meat and vegetables cooked together.
- Now after more 10 minutes, meat and vegetables are cooked.
- At this point we can also ass boiled chickpea if you like.
- Check the consistency of broth if thick add more water and bring to boil.
- Served it with ragag bread or plain rice.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!