United Arab Emirates – Ful Medames
by Adelina Aida
Ful Medames is also known as FUL, a vegetarian dish of UAE. It is a curry of Fava Beans with vegetables and spices served with hard-boiled eggs. This dish is very popular in Lebanon. It is originated in Egypt and travel to UAE and now is a very famous dish of UAE. This is a unique dish that has mild flavors and serving is rich by using eggs.
This dish is served as breakfast with some sort of bread and also as a main course. This dish has a great impact on Arab states because of the nice mild and rich flavors. It has the use of butter that gives a very creamy and buttery texture to the dish. People use it as a snack, it is also served as the main dish.
There is a traditional way to serve this Fava beans curry in Metal Jug. It is served along with falafel and Koshari.
This dish has different names because of having different regional varieties like :
- Foule mudemes
- Foul mudammas
- Ful medames
- Fol mudumus, etc
There are different kinds of vegetables used to add to this dish. Vegetables like carrots, potatoes, peas, garlic, parsley are added while cooking and lemon must be added over the top of the cooked Fava beans curry that gives a very tangy effect and goes well with this vegetarian dish.
HISTORY OF FUL MEDAMES
The place of origin of ful medames is EGYPT. This dish is cooked more in northern cities like cario and gaza. In ancient days, this dish is made up of dried beans that is when soaked into water a day before and cook next day.
In Middle ages, this dish is very popular in Cairo. This dish has great impact at that time
TALMUDA DE ERETZ YISREAL
The cooking method of making ful medames is mentioned in a ”book of Jerusalem”. This is known by the name Talmud de eret yisreal ( Talmud of Israel ). The word Talmud means ”INSTRUCTIONS”. This book is finalized in the year of 200 CE. In this book cooking method related to make ful medames is written.
Fava beans are from the family of Peas and Beans. It is said to be in between beans more like peas and beans. There are different shapes and colors of beans cultivated in different countries. Some have small beans other have larger bean size.
Fava beans are known by many other different names :
- Faba beans
- Broad beans
- Tick beans
- Tic beans
- Field beans
- Horse beans, etc.
Nutritional content of fava beans
These beans are very popular because of having high nutritional content like :
- Carbohydrates 58%
- Protein 26%
- Fat 2%
- Water 11%
In Egypt, Fava beans known as FUL. Ful has different texture according to the way of cultivation like :
Ful hammam are small and round shapes beans that are also known as Bath Beans
Ful Rumi is more famous towards the European side. This is broader and shaped like kidney. These are known as ”EUROPEAN BROAD BEANS”
Ful baladi is known ad COUNTRY BEANS. They are having medium size.
Fava beans sprouts are known as Ful nabit.
VARIETIES OF FUL MEDAMES
There are different varieties of ful medames accosrding to the regional distribution.
- In the Middle East, This dish is very popular as a breakfast. In Syria, Fava beans are cooked overnight in a copper jar with pepper, garlic, mint, tahini, and olive oil. Then this is served the next morning.
- In Jordan, Ful is prepared like a dip. It is cooked and mashed to form a mashy paste-like texture.
- In Africa, It is served for breakfast with eggs and milk.
- Morocco, Ful is known as Bissara
Calories = 223
Fat = 14 grams
Carbohydrates = 29 grams
Protein = 5 grams
Fiber = 2 grams
INGREDIENTS OF FUL MEDAMES
- Fava Beans = 250 grams
- Olive oil = 4 tablespoons
- Onions = 1 cup chopped
- Tomatoes = 1 cup chopped
- Green chillies = 4
- Salt = 1 teaspoon
- Pepper = 1 tablespoon
- Garlic cloves = 8 chopped
- Cumin = 1 teaspoon
- Parsely = 1 bunch
- Lemon = 4
- Take a large pot and add fava beans into it. Soak them in luke warm water for 2 hours.
- Now take a cooking pot and add olive oil with chopped onions into it. Cook it for 5 minutes and then add chopped garlic with tomatoes.
- Let the juice of tomato releases to add spices into it.
- Add soaked beans into the curry mixture with 8 glass of water.
- It takes around 1 hour to cook beans and water to evaporate.
- When water is dried and curry is formed, serve.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!