DESCRIPTION OF THE DISH
Brik is an Tunisian pastry dish which is filled with tuna, vegetables and spices and then it is finally deep fried to give it an incredible crispy look. Brik is one of the best breakfast dishes in Tunisia and it is eaten merely everyday there. There are many different versions of this dish. Some people add beef or meat inside the filling and some add other ingredients but the main version of this dish which defines its true history is the one with tune and an egg yolk. Yes you have heard it correct egg yolk Brik is one of the most popular version of this dish. During the step of the filling of the pastry an egg yolk is also added inside it which is cooked along with the filling and when a person cuts the Brik all the egg yolk oozes out which feels tremendous. This is an popular dish among the children and they demand their parents to make it everyday. The pastry used for this dish is not any other ordinary pastry the people of Tunisia use a pastry called malsouka as it brings out the best taste for this dish. It is also eaten during the month of Ramadan. It is also a famous street food dish as many people in their free time eat it and enjoy their time.
HISTORY / ORIGIN
This dish is said to be over 500 years old and many say that it was the Tunisian region which truly came up with this dish. It became more and more popular over the times as the Jewish people started to make their own variations of this dish and then after some time it move from one region to the other. Just like now the people of Israel eat and love this dish but it migrated to them from Tunisia. In other regions it is named differently but its style of cooking is the same. No matter what happens this dish will always be a part of the North African culture and an Tunisian delight.
INGREDIENTS REQUIRED TO MAKE THE FILLING
- OLIVE OIL 1 tbsp.
- TUNA CAN 1
- ONION 1 (CHOPPED)
- GARLIC CLOVES 3-4
- CHILLI FLAKES 1/4 tsp
- CAPERS 2 tbsp.
- EGGS (to put inside the pastry)
- TABIL SPICE 1 1/4 tsp
INGREDIENTS REQUIRED TO MAKE THE PASTRY
- FILO PASTY SHEETS
STEPS TO PREPARE THE FILLING:
- Take a pan and add some oil in it.
- Add the chopped onions in the pan and also the garlic cloves.
- Sauté them until a brown color appears.
- Once the color appears add the canned tuna in the pan and cook .
- Add some chilli flakes , capers and tabil spice in pan and mix.
- Also add some salt and pepper according to your own taste.
- Now this is optional if you want to add parsley or not.
- Once all these things are added cook for 5 mins then remove from the heat.
- Your filling is ready
STEPS TO ASSEMBLE THE PASTRY:
- Now we will add our filling to the pastry.
- Take the pastry sheets and place them straight.
- Fold the sides and add the filling in the middle.
- Take an egg and break it pour its yolk inside the pastry as well.
- Carefully close the pastry and make a triangular sort of shape or any shape.
- Take a separate fryer with hot oil inside it and place the pastry in it.
- Cook the pastry until a golden brown is obtained.
- Do this for all the pastries.
- Your dish is made and ready to serve.
- PREPERATION TIME : 25 minutes
- COOKING TIME : 10 minutes
- TOTAL TIME : 35 minutes
- YIELDS : 4 servings
- Calories 280kcal
- Total Fat 14g
- Cholesterol 245mg
- Sodium 628mg
- Total Carbs 28g
- Dietary Fiber 6g
- Protein 14g