Tunisian, Algerian – Chicken Chorba
Tunisian cuisines are famous worldwide and also in its own continent as well. It has different variety of dishes to offer and this dish is no slouch to that. Chorba or Shorba is an Arabic word which means soup or stew. In different regions it is pronounced differently. It is a soup which is made by adding chicken to a base of tomatoes, onions, ginger and many other spices. It is then boiled with hot water and reduced until the required consistency is achieved. It is a dish which is most popular in the month of Ramadan. It is served to the people who are about to break fast and it really helps them gain back their energy and fulfill their appetite. It is not only popular in Ramadan but it is a favorite all year and mostly in winters. In winter season it is a great way of keeping yourself cozy as it provides warmth and beautiful feeling to the person eating it. It has incredible flavors and a great essence which attracts a person towards it. All the families love to make it and eat it together. It is very simple to make and does not require many complex ingredients. On the whole this soup is a great starter dish and a great family dish as well.
It is said during the Ottoman Empire period this dish was invented by the people. It is also said that during the winter days a family which was very poor was trying to survive in the cold weather and they made this dish first by using all the ingredients which they had saved the whole year. They made this soup to keep them warm and also to keep their children warm. The essence of this soup attracted the other people as well and they became keen on finding out what is this dish which is so aromatic. Soon this dish came out in the open and everyone started to make it and it brought warmth to the people. Fast forwarding to now it is one of the most famous Persian origin dishes out there. Its history is filled with love that is why it is very popular. Now there are many versions of this out there as every region tries to make this dish with different ways so that they can enhance the flavor of it .
INGREDIENTS REQUIRED TO PREPARE IT
- Olive oil
- Onion 1/2
- Garlic Cloves 2
- Carrots (Chopped)
- Turmeric 1 tsp.
- Harissa 1 tsp.
- Tomato paste 2 tbsp.
- Bay leaves 2
STEPS TO PREPARE THIS DISH
- Take a large pot and add olive oil in eat and let it heat.
- Add your chopped onions and garlic cloves in the pan.
- Add the chicken in the pan.
- Add turmeric , caraway , salt and pepper in the pot and stir. Also add 2 1/2 mugs of water in the pan along with some bay leaves.
- Let the chicken cook for 10-15 minutes.
- After this remove the chicken from the pot
- After this cut the chicken into small pieces.
- Take those pieces and put them in the pot again.
- Bring them to a boil and add the tomato paste and harissa in the pot.
- After this add 2 mugs of water again and bring it to a boil.
- Finally add your chopped carrots in the pot and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Once cooked take the soup out and pour it into a bowl and serve.
TIME REQUIRED FOR COOKING IT
- PREPERATION TIME : 5 minutes
- COOKING TIME : 25 minutes
- TOTAL TIME : 30 minutes
- YIELDS : 3-4 servings
- Calories 328
- Total Fat 4g
- Protein 17g
- Total Carbohydrates 62g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1g
- Sugars 15g
- Sodium 4320mg
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!