Fruit custard is a type of sweet dessert that is famous all over the world. This dish is a part of the European region and includes in British Cuisine. There are many places that they are sold. Throughout the United Kingdom, they are sold in most bakeries, supermarkets, etc. There are three main processing steps of this custard. In the First step, we make custard filling process with the combination of eggs, milk, flours, and some other ingredients and they made together with a delightful and sweet dessert. The other or second main process is to make a tart. This tart is making with the combination of all-purpose flour, butter and some other ingredients the kneading, the tart dough with your hand is the main step of this process, and then bakes it in the oven through spreading the dough on a baking dish. The last and final step is assembling in which we combine both custard and tart crust and garnish with fruit slices on it to give the final touch. Pastries are slightly different from pies. So, you also can make this special type of dessert at your own home by following the cooking and baking procedure which is in a very easy way.
Alternative Names of this Dish
There is much kind of alternative names of this dish. In Great Britain, the dish fruit custard tart is also called the “Egg Custard Tart” which simply means a pie filled with egg-based filling in the combination with corn flour-based custards. This is also called a short-crust pastry because a pastry is also a sweet dessert in which we make it with eggs, sugar, milk, and cream, etc., and then baked it in a preheated oven. Often, it may also call “Milk called” because milk is also the main component of custard.
Meaning of Title
The title name is Fruit Custard Tart, there are three different words the one is fruits which simply means that we do garnish with fruit slices for the final touch, now the second word is custard which is the second or alternative name is “Dessert” and we know the dessert is simply a sweet dish. Sometimes custard is made with the help of fruits and this called the fruit custard or fruit dessert. Now the final and last word is Tart, basically tart is a type of open pastry in which we can fill it with sweet and savory fluid-like liquid then chilled it through the refrigerator for serving. Actually, a tart is making with the combination of some ingredients like all-purpose flour, sugar powder some water and this combine will make the soft dough then baked to Make a Tart.
Origin and History
Every kind of dish must have origin and history in their cuisine’s introductory part with their respective cuisine’s tradition this is the most important part of any cuisine. So, when we talk about the origin of this dish (Fruit Custard Tart) is actually originated from British Cuisine and it is part of the European region. It is the special type of dessert of Great Britain. Let’s talk about Great Britain. Great Britain’s second name is British. This includes three major and popular countries in it. The one in England and the second is Scotland, and the last is Wales. Each country is rich in full of traditions and cultures. The history of Great Britain is known by its tradition and its culture. Nowadays it is the most popular dessert all across the world and continues to famous day-by-day.
Different names in Different Countries
When a cuisine has its actual origin and history, there are many countries to copy their cuisine and make a monopoly of it and give it a different name to rid off from the copyright. So, here are also the different names of Fruit Custard Tart in different Countries. Some of these countries are Hong Kong (they called the name of this dish is “Egg Tart”), Indonesia (they called the name of this dish is “Milk Pie”), France (they called the name of this dish is flans pâtissiers) Romania (they called the name of this dish is” Alivenci”), Portugal (they called the name of this dish is “pastel de nata”). So these are some countries with different names of Fruit Custard Tart.
- (Milk) full fat 500 ml
- (Egg yolks) 4
- Sugar 2-3 tbs or to taste
- Corn flour 3 tbs
- Vanilla essence 1 tsp
- Qarshi Jam e Shirin 2-3 tbs
- (Butter) 100g (room temperature)
- Icing sugar ¼ Cup
- (Egg) 1 (room temperature)
- (Salt) ¼ tsp
- (All-purpose flour) sifted 1 & ½ Cup (add more if needed)
- Banana slices
- Apple slices
- Peach slices
Prepare Custard Filling
- First of all, take a medium-size wok to add full-fat milk (500ml).
- Let’s bring it to a boil at medium flame.
- Then take a bowl add 2 egg yolks, 2 to 3 tsp of sugar or to taste and whisk it well through whisker.
- Then add corn-flour, vanilla essence, and again whisk well through whisker.
- Now add half a cup of boiled milk into that bowl and again whisk well.
- Then take this egg mixture and put it into the remaining boiled milk and whisk well.
- Then add 2 to 3 tsp jam-e-Shirin and whisk or mix continuously.
- Continuously mixing through whisker and cook on medium-low flame until it becomes thick and creamy or feels like a paste.
- Now your Custard filling is about to ready.
- Let’s dish out into a separate bowl and wrap it through a plastic transparent sheet and refrigerate it for approximately 1 hour.
For Tart Crust
- Let’s take a medium-size bowl add 100g of butter (room temperature) and mix it well for 2 to 3 minutes until it becomes thin.
- Then add icing sugar or sugar powder into the bowl and again mix it well until it became smooth and creamy.
- Then add one egg and mix continuously until well combined for approximately 4 to 6 minutes.
- Now add a pinch of salt mix it, then add all-purpose flour (Sifted) you can add more if needed.
- Let’s mix and knead it well through a spoon.
- Then wash your hands and knead it well through your hands until the formation of a soft dough shape.
- Now after the soft dough is ready wrap it through the clings film and let’s refrigerate it for approximately 30 minutes.
- Now take a pan that sizes almost 10 inches.
- After refrigerating the tart dough take it and spread it over the pan through your hands gently and cuts the cover edges.
- Now take a fork and prick it all over the area with a fork.
- Bake it in the preheated oven at 180 degrees for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
- After the baking process is complete leave it for cool.
- For assembling take reserved prepared custard for smoothness whisk it well through whisker.
- Add this prepared custard into the baked tart and spread it gently.
- Now it’s time to garnish it through banana slices, apple slices, peach slices, and cherries.
- Your fruit custard tart is about to ready.
- In last, refrigerate well until chilled.
- Your fruit custard tart is ready for serve.
- Serve it to your family and your loved ones on any happy occasion.
- Enjoy the dessert!
- Calories: 197 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 15.3g
- Proteins: 6.7g
- Sugar: 14.2g
- Preparation Time: 25 to 30 minutes
- Cooking or baking time: 20 to 25 minutes
- Total Time: At least one hour required
- Serving: 4 to 5
- Origin: European region
- Cuisine: The United Kingdom
- Taste: Sweet and Bitter