by Dwi Lias Susanti
Speaking of Thailand, the first thing that flashed in our mind is Phuket Island. The largest island in the Andaman sea in Southern Thailand that have beautiful beaches and has become the top tourism destination. Most of these beautiful beaches are located on the West coast. For Thailand, tourism has become one of its primary national income. These tourism activities are the reason why the government put an extra effort to attract foreign tourists to come to Thailand.
When visiting Thailand, we will get convenient accommodation, easy access to every tourist attraction, and of course, their authentic food will be accompanying every tourism activity. There are many kinds of Thailand food, from the main dish, snacks, and also beverages. Most of Thailand’s food tastes spicy, sour, and savory taste created from their traditional spice.
For those who love eating noodles, Thailand has several kinds of noodles. But when we talk about uniqueness, Guay Teow Rhua is the champion. This dish gets its name from the place where Thailand people sell it in the old time. Guay Teow Rhua means boat noodle since it trades on a boat near the river. Guay Teow Rhua serves in a small portion, so when hungry, people purchase two bowls to make them full enough. But now you don’t have to go to the river if you want to eat some Guay Teow Rhua you can find it in a local food stall in Bangkok city already sell it, or you can cook it for yourself. Let’s try to make it ourselves for now and taste it before your next holidays.
- 3 liter of water
- 300-gram beef bones
- 1 stick of lemongrass, use just the white part
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cilantro, crushed
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5 galangal
- 1 Pandan leaf
- 2 stick cinnamon
- 2-star anise
- 25-gram coriander powder
- 10-gram white pepper powder
- 25 ml of soy sauce
- 20 ml of Thai sauce
- 15 ml black soy sauce
- 15 ml tauco (fermented soy sauce)
- 5 ml vinegar
- 30 grams of sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
Marinated beef ingredient
- 250-gram beef, cut into bite-size
- 5 ml of vegetable oil
- 5 ml of soy sauce
- 5 ml of sugar
- 3 cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 50 ml White vinegar
- 200-gram rice noodles
- 10 pork meatballs
- 100-gram spinach
- 100-gram bean sprouts
- 50-gram beef or pork blood
- 50 gram fried garlic & garlic oil
- 20-gram cilantro, chopped
- 20-gram holy basil
- 30-gram crispy pork rind
- 20 grams of chili flakes
Beef marinated preparation
- Mix all the ingredients with a food processor.
- Add beef stir until smooth.
- Marinated for two hour
- Prepare a large cooking pot.
- Add beef bone with water. Boil it for 45 minutes.
- Remove all the floating scum.
- Add all the ingredients and boil it for one hour.
- Add salt and adjust the taste.
- Remove and strain the broth into a big bowl.
- Beef broth ready to use.
Chili vinegar preparation
- Grill the chili and garlic until a little bit scorched.
- Chopped chili and garlic.
- Mix with vinegar using a food processor.
- Add vinegar again if the mixture becomes too thick.
- Soak noodle into cold water for 15 minute
- Drain the noodle and wrap it and keep it in the freezer
How to cook
- Prepare a large boiling pot, pour water, and heat it until boiling.
- Prepare a simmer to add beef broth 1 cup per person. Heat it with low fire.
- Put one portion of spinach and noodle. Blanch it in boiling water for 10 seconds.
- Remove noodle into a bowl. Add garlic oil into the noodle, stir it until finely mixed.
- Add meatball to the broth and cook until boil. Add marinated beef.
- When the beef already tenders, add the blood and stir slowly.
- Pour the broth into the noodle.
- Topped with fried garlic, holy basil, chili flakes, and cilantro. Serve with a side of chili vinegar and crispy pork rind.
- Happy eating