Thailand – Gaeng Daeng Gai/Red Curry
by David Smith
Gaeng Daeng Gai or Red Curry is a famous dish of Thailand that mainly consist of dark red paste or curry. This dish is specially known for its spiciness and colour. The main ingredient of Gaeng Daeng Gai is coconut milk and meat. Talking about meat, Thai people use beef, mutton, chicken, shrimp and sometimes pork. This whole dish is cooks in coconut milk. Vegetarian people add vegan source of protein in it instead of meat, they mostly use tofu in this delicious dish. Gaeng Daeng Gai gets its red colour from dried red chillies that are used in it. This mouth watering dish is eaten a lot in Thailand. A bowl of Gaeng Daeng Gai is enough to amaze you. Steamed/boiled rice are served with it. Except of having a perfect taste, Gaeng Daeng Gai also has many health benefits due to all herbs used in it. Nowadays, people get prepared Gaeng Daeng Gai not only in restaurants but also in sealed jar in market. This shows the importance of gaeng Daeng Gai among Thai people. If you are interested in Thai food then you should definitely try this.
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins
Total: 40 mins
Protein: 27 grams
Carbohydrates: 40 grams
Fat: 57 grams
- 1 pound of chicken breast (should be boneless)
- 2 and half cups of coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons of red curry paste
- 1 can of sliced babboo shoots
- 3 red chillies (should be sliced)
- 2 teaspoon of palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons of fish taste/sauce knows as nam pla
- 1 cup of torn basil leaves
- half teaspoon of salt
- First, take bamboo shoots and slice them into pieces.
- Take a wok and pour one and half cup of coconut milk in it, set the flame to medium heat and bring to boil.
- Now, add red curry paste in it and stir.
- When oil (red colour) comes out of curry, add chicken in curry.
- Cook it until its colour changes to white.
- Now, add remaining coconut milk in the curry along with sugar, fish sauce or nam pla and salt and bring again to boil.
- Add some chillies, lime (leaves) and basil in it.
- Turn off the flame and add red curry in a dish.
- Lastly, garnish Gaeng Daeng Gai or red curry with some basil leaves and herbs.
- Serve Gaeng Daeng Ga with steamed rice.
- Gaeng Daeng Gai is ready!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!