Tanzania – Bloody Grass
by Tanomba Thati
Tanzania is among the famous East African countries, that includes Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Congo. In these countries most of the families do have a home garden. These home gardens are simply for veggies and fruits. It’s like a long living custom for every family to have these gardens.
Tanzania is bordered by Kenya and Uganda to the north, Rwanda, Burundi and Congo to the west, Mozambique to the south and Indian Ocean to the east.
In home gardens at least one family in 10 families will have these green leaves called bloody grass, anyways they call it “Matembele” in Swahili. It’s a very delicious meal especially when mixed with simple spices like garlic and peppers.
Here’s how we do it.
- A bunch of bloody grass
- 1 galric
- A tomato
- 1 big onion
- 1 carrot
- Pepper for taste
- Wash the leaves, make sure all the sand are well removed. They may produce a awful stoney chewing sounds while eating.
- Chop other ingredients.
- Mix all together in one pot.
- using frying pan, add oil and boil for few seconds.
- Add the ingredients from pot, mix and cook for at least 3 minutes.
- Cover the pan and leave to cook for 2 minutes.
- Our meal is well cooked, check to be sure of it.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!