Tanzania – African Yellow Split Peas-Rice Mix
By Robert Christopher
In Tanzania, yellow split peas serves much starts from foods to business as some fry and sell them as packed in small packets and usually sells them at a cost of 1.43$ per packet.
Let us stick in food side uses as today we will prepare rice mixed with yellow split peas, generally done in almost all parts of the country, Tanzania.
- 2 cups of yellow split peas.
- 3 cups of rice.
- 1 Coconut/2 Coconut packets.
- 1 bulb onion.
- 1 red pepper.
- 2 carrots.
- 2 full tea spoon of salt.
- Wash and boil yellow split peas, this usually takes 20-35 minutes.
- Wash and cut into cubes carrot, onion, and peppers.
- Using frying pan, start to cook onions up to when they change color
to brownish yellow, add carrots and pepper altogether and mix them up.
- Filter all water from yellow split peas and mix them within the frying pan.
- After a moment of about 5-7 minutes, remove frying pan from heat.
- Soak rice for 7-10 minutes and remove water with water filter.
- Using cooking pan, boil rice for few minutes, don’t let it to be fully ready.
- Remove from heat and filter water off. (Don’t waste the filtered water)
- Mix the filtered water with coconut well.
- Take yellow split peas, onions, carrots, pepper and mix them together with
boiled rice.(mix them gently)
- Heat up the cook into low heat level and put cooking pan with the mix in it.
- Add the coconut mixed water and let the mix boil gently.
- After 8-10 minutes your food must be ready, with all water dried off, sweet smell
and attractive yellowish color, enjoy.
African yellow split peas rice can be eaten with:
Fruits mix (Kachumbari)
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!