Pakistan – Traditional Dessert Gur Ke Chawal (Jaggery Rice)
By Dahiza Umar
What is gur ke chawal?
Jaggery is known as GUR in urdu language and chawal is word used for RICE so basically jaggery rice is a dish very popular here.
We made sweet syrup by jaggery and cook rice into the syrup and make is tasty by adding nuts, coconut, raisin and dry fruits.
Origin of jaggery rice
Jaggery is made by sugarcane juice in Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and Sri lanka. So it is stated that its origin from the Indian subcontinent.
In Punjab, Pakistan it is known as traditional Punjabi dish because jaggery is freshly prepared in village located in Punjab. So desi ingredients are used to make this traditional dish.
It is very tasty we enjoy this dish as a dessert in many occasions and serve it also in the evening with tea.
- Rice 500 grams
- Jaggery 250 grams
- Green cardamom 4 to 6
- Cloves 2
- Cinnamon stick 1 inch long
- Fennel seeds 3 tbsp
- Water 3 glass
- Almonds 10 to 20
- Coconut 1/2 cup
- Desi ghee 5 tbsp
- In a pan, add desi ghee, green cardamom, fennel, dry nuts and sauté it.
- Now add jaggery and water. Boil it until jaggery melts.
- Than add rice and cook until water dried and put it on low heat for 15 minutes
- Now your tasty jaggery rice is ready to serve
Servings: 4 to 5 persons
Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!