by Dahiza Umar
ABOUT THE DISH
This is very popular ‘’bar b que’’ dish served in every restaurants in Pakistan.
The word TANDOOR is used to describe the elongated clay oven usually used to make tandoori naan and tandoori roti/ chapati.
It is also known as earth oven.
So the kababs are actually very similar dish to everyone in which mince is used of any meat chicken, lamb or beef and any shape either long or round kababs are made. Kababs here is served as side dish or even in a main course when is cooked in traditional curry to make it eat with roti or naan.
Kababs are also served as bar b que.
ORIGIN OF KABABS
Kababs are from the middle east region but world famous. In Pakistan, the kababs are influenced by MUGHAL CUISINE. They are seems to be originated from the INDIAN SUBCONTINENTS.
Internationally they are also known as meat balls and now has become part of many national cuisine like here in Pakistan’s cuisine.
- Lamb mince 1 kilogram
- Onion chopped 1 large
- Tomatoes chopped 1 large
- Green chilies 6
- Garlic paste 2 tbsp
- Ginger paste 2 tbsp
- Salt 1 tbsp
- Red chili flakes 1 tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Fried onion 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Dried pomegranate seeds 2 tbsp
- Dried fenugreek powder 1 tbsp
- Chat masala 1 tbsp
- Gram masala ( whole spice mix) 1 tbsp
- Black pepper powder 1 tsp
- Fresh coriander leaves 1 bunch
- Mint leaves 1 bunch
- Chickpea flour 3 tbsp (for binding)
- Cornflour 3 tbsp
- Oil for frying
- Charcoal for smoke
- Take mince and dried the water completely so it may not fall off or become soggy.
- Now add all the spices into it and mixed well.
- Let it rest for 1 hour so the juices come out of the ingredients and make it moisture.
- Now take mince spice and shape into small balls or elongated like seekh kababs.
- Fry it in oil until golden color appears
- Now when you fry all the kababs, heat the charcoal on a stove.
- Now add a drop of oil onto hot charcoal when smoke starts appearing over the kababs with smoke so we can get earthy tandoori flavor.
- It seems to be cooked in tandoor that is very difficult to make clay oven in house.
- You can serve this beautiful dish with green chili chutney/ sauce and tandoori naan that is easily available in Pakistan.