by Usama Tariq
Special Gurr waly Chawal is a sweet dish, word Gurr is an Urdu word which means Sugarcane Powder in English so the meaning of the title in English is Sugarcane Rice. This dish is very famous in Pakistan. It is full of nutrients and healthy diets. But it is harmful to diabetes patients. It is available at many Dhabas in Pakistan. The taste of this dish is very sweet, and with the combination of fried dry fruits, it is an even more tasteful dish ever in Pakistan. People made this dish at their own homes but, it is a special dish, so it is made on special occasions like small party, festival, family gathering, etc. as a sweet dish. There are many tastes of this dish according to the method of cooking like some people made this dish without adding dry fruits in it and some people adding these ingredients for more taste. After following this recipe you can make it at your own home in a very easy way.
It is originated from the Indian Subcontinent but this dish is famous among Pakistani people. The first view of this dish is from North India in Mughalai times, with the passage of time it is famous to the whole of Asia and that’s why this dish is called an Asian dish
- Basmati Rice 375g (1 & ½ Cup)
- Water as required
- Water 1 & ½ liter
- (Fennel seeds) 1 tbs
- (Cinnamon sticks) 2
- (Salt) ¼ tsp or to taste
- Ghee ¼ Cups
- (Cashew nuts) halved 2-3 tbs
- (Almonds) halved 2-3 tbs
- (Dry coconut) sliced ¼ Cup
- (Raisins) 2-3 tbs
- Dried milk powder ½ Cup
- (Green cardamom) 2-3
- -Desi Gurr Shakkar Jaggery powder 1 Cup
- (Milk) ½ Cup
- Ghee 1 tbs
- First, we take a bowl put it on the stove at medium flame.
- Add water, fennel seeds and cinnamon sticks leave it to boil.
- Then add salt to taste and continue it for boiling.
- Now take basmati rice (soaked for 30 minutes) wash and strain the soaked rice.
- Add this soaked rice into the boiled water.
- Let boil the rice until 3/4th done (softness) strain and set aside.
- Now take another frying pan and put it on the stove at medium flame.
- Then add ghee and let it melt for a minute.
- Now add halved 2 to 3 tsp cashew nuts, halved almonds, and sliced dry coconut in it and fry it for a minute.
- After frying, add raisins mix, and fry for half minutes.
- Now reserve the half quantity of fried dry fruits for garnishing.
- After that, add dried milk powder to the remaining fried dry fruits mix it well.
- After mixing add green cardamom cook until it changes color approximately for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now the main thing is Desi Shakkar Jaggery Powder (Sugarcane Powder) (1 cup) add this thing in it.
- Then add some milk to it and mix well and cook on low flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add reserved strained boiled rice in that pan and mix it really well until every rice’s color are changed.
- After that, add ghee to it then cover and steam cook at low flame for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Then mix with polite hands and your dish is ready to serve.
- Dish out the rice into the bowl or tray and garnish with reserved fried dry fruits.
- Serve it to your families and your loved ones.
- Calories: 249 kcal
- Proteins: 5% 32g
- Fats: 15% 26g
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes required.
- Serving: 3 to 4 Persons
- Origin: Indian Subcontinent
- Cuisine: Pakistan, India