Pakistan – Spaghetti
By Muhammad Shazil
Spaghetti is an Italian pasta dish invented in Naples in the mid-20th century. Its ingredients typically include tomatoes, olive oil, anchovies, olives, capers and garlic, in addition to pasta.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 5 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 120 g pitted black olives
- 2 tbsp capers drained
- 300 g dried spaghetti
- ½ small bunch of parsley finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan over a medium-low heat. Add the onion along with a generous pinch of salt and fry for 10 mins, or until soft. Add the garlic and chili, if using, and cook for a further minute.
- Stir the tomatoes, anchovies, olives and capers into the onion, bring to a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, for 15 mins. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Cook the spaghetti following pack instructions, then drain and toss with the sauce and parsley.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!