Pakistan – Peshawari Tawa Fry Kaleji (Lamb or Mutton Liver)
by Muhammad Usama
Tawa kaleji is a rare type of Asian dish. There are many ways to make Kaleji, here the word Kaleji means liver of lamb or goat. The spicy dish Tawa Kaleji is very famous in northern parts of Pakistan like Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK), Quetta, Peshawar, etc. This dish is originated in South Asian countries like Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, etc. In this recipe, we make a lamb or goat liver with some spices and ingredients to make it spicy and delicious. Usually, Tawa Kaleji ate with wheat chapati or sourdough chapati but simply tried boiled rice with this delicious dish. In many Asian countries like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh the Tawa Kaleji dish is considered as the main dish and most probably have eaten at dinner like the main dish. So it has many variations and different types of cooking methods. In Punjab (the province of Pakistan) the liver of goat or lamb is used as Kaleji Shorba, in this dish they make a broth and add Kaleji (Liver) to make a special type of Handi and they enjoyed it. In this dish, the Kaleji (Liver) is the main component of it and make a combination with some spices and ingredients. The taste and aroma are divine and is rich in nutritional aspects. You can also make it at your own home by following this recipe. I hope you will enjoy it.
Meaning of Name
Tawa Kaleji is basically a Mutton-based Handi. In which we used Mutton or Lamb liver and fry it on Tawa. Here, the word tawa means griddle on which we combine some ingredients with mutton or lamb Kaleji to make a special type of dish. Now, the other word as I said earlier Kaleji means Liver of Goat. It is very common in cold areas of Pakistan. The other name of this dish is Peshawari Tawa Kaleji in which Peshawar is a city of Pakistan and it is a very common dish in it.
Importance of dish
When we talk about its importance, the sour and spicy food lovers loved that this so much. In Pakistan, on the occasion of Eid-ul-Azha in which the Muslims Sacrifices their animals (Goat, buffalo, cow, lamb, etc) and make a lot of mutton and beef dishes these days. Where there is a dish made with Kaleji. Many people saved the part of their goats (liver) and cooked it on later. Eating Kaleji is the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet (PBUH). He (PBUH) is shown their interest to eat Kaleji on the day of Eid-ul-Azha. So, the role of Kaleji is very important in Mutton’s dishes.
Origin and History
Tawa Kaleji Masala is the traditional and local dish of Asian Muslims and it is originated from the Indian Subcontinent. It is considered as street food of Lahore where their lot of old cuisines were made. Most probably that this dish is the first one made on the first day of Eid-ul-Azha (festival of sacrifices their animals in the Sunnah of Prophet Ibrahim (A.S)). There is a myth that mutton liver is injurious for human health because it contains toxic in the human body that harms it, but also it is the treatment of many diseases. It helps to grow the human body and body tissues and muscles. It is very harmful to the patient with liver stone because it produced a large amount of cholesterol that harms the liver patient, so he should avoid eating Tawa Kaleji Masala. The popularity of Tawa Kaleji Masala increases over time. There is a small amount of making Kaleji Dishes in European countries as compared to the Asian countries.
Variations and Types
There are a lot of variations and types of Mutton or Lamb Liver. Some of these are the following.
- Kaleji Fry Masala
- Tawa Kaleji
- Mutton Kaleji Masala
- Kaleji with Broth
- Fried Liver
- Boiled Kaleji with some Gravy
- Chicken Kaleji Masala
Serving tawa Kaleji Masala hot with chapati and mint yogurt. You can add a salad as a side dish. Serve hot in front of your family or your loved ones. I am pretty sure they will love it and enjoying peacefully. Some people serve tawa kaleji with hot boiled rice and some salad.
- Ghee 3 tbs
- (Garlic) chopped 5 cloves
- Muton kaleji (Liver) 500g
- (Tomatoes) chopped 3-4 medium
- (Green chilies) chopped 6-8
- (Salt) 1 tsp or to taste
- (Turmeric powder) ¼ tsp
- Zeera powder (Cumin powder) ¼ tsp
- (Coriander seeds) crushed 1 tbs
- (Green chili) chopped 1-2
- Take a medium size griddle place it on the stove at low flame.
- Add or scattered ghee and leave it for melt.
- Then add chopped garlic (5 cloves) and fry it until it turns to golden color.
- Then add 500g of kaleji (mutton liver).
- Let’s fry it on medium-low heat for approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Then clear the center of the griddle or set the kaleji aside on the griddle.
- Then add 3 to 4 medium chopped tomatoes, chopped green chilies and cook or fry them for approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Put salt to taste, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, crushed coriander seeds, and cook and mix until they are soft or tender approximately for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Now combine both fried kaleji and prepared tomato spice and mix them well.
- Then put 1 to 2 chopped green chilies for garnishment.
- Your dish is ready to serve.
- Serve it to your family or your loved ones.
- Enjoy the dish.
- PREP. TIME: 15 MINS
- COOKING TIME: 10 minutes
- TOTAL TIME: ALMOST half HOUR Required
- Calories: 263 kcal
- Fat: 6g (18%)
- Proteins: 2.3g (19%)
- Serving: 4 to 5 persons
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!