Pakistan – National dish of Pakistan “Nihari”
By Dahiza Umar
Nihari in Pakistan
As all PAKISTAN’s favourite dish is also a national dish of Pakistan, nihari. Nihari has its own traditional worth in late centuries originated at the era of MUGHALS.
This dish is known as ROYAL DISH. It is rich in flavors and aromas consist of beef or lamb with special spices, some people like to add bone marrow and brain into it to enhance the richness of dish.
In Punjab, nihari is a famous breakfast served with tandoori naan ( a type of bread/ chapati).
- Lamb/ beef 1 kilogram
- Onion 2 large
- Garlic 1 tablespoon
- Ginger 1 tablespoon
- Green chilies 4 to 5
- Salt 1 tablespoon
- Red chili powder 1 teaspoon
- Crushed red chilies 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Dried coriander 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder 1 teaspoon
- Green Cardamom 2
- Fennel seeds 1 tablespoon
- Whole black cardamom 1
- Cloves 5 to 6
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Bay leaf 1
- Nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil 1 cup
- Take a large pot and put onion sliced with oil and fry until golden brown
- Add ginger garlic paste into itfry little 1 to 2 minutes and add meet into it
- Fry the meet with onion and ginger garlic mixed for 5 minutes until the water of meet dried.
- Add 5 glasses of water into pot and put it on low flame.
- Now make a spice mix, take cloves, cardamoms, bay leaf, fennel seeds, nutmeg and all whole spice into blender and powdered them.
- After half an hour, mix the mixture of meet and add this spice mix, salt, red chilies, turmeric.
- Now dry the water and put it on medium heat and simmer the meet mix until aroma spread in the whole house for around 10 minutes.
- Now when the masala of nihari mixed completely, oil separate from the mixture take the half cup of oil out of nihari mix and put it on separate pan.
- Add around 5 glasses of water again and let the nihari simmer for 5 to 6 hours.
- The whole house is fragmented with the aroma of spice.
- When the nihari is ready and the gravy is thickened enough.
- Serve with naan, chapati or roti.
- Garnished the dish with chopped green chilies, ginger slices and green coriander leaves.
- Enjoy the Pakistani tradition.
(proud of PAKISTAN)
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!